Import Terrain Data 101 ?'s

Thab0425

Hello all. Using HD Suite 2021. JUst a casual user of the software. I designed a bathroom and a kitchen remodel with this program. I'm now looking into hardscaping.

I have watched all the videos and read the guides about importing terrain.

My main question... WHERE do I find my terrain data or how do I populate it? Do I need a professional surveyor to come out or is there a program online I can use?

Lets say I already had the data. Is it just as simple as inputting it into the wizard and VOILA!! my yard and all the elevations magically appear (I assume some tweaking would be necessary).

Thanks in advance

Terrain data usually comes from a surveyor. There are businesses out there that can map it out for you with a drone too or your city or county office might have something on file. 

Depending on the format you might need to

A. Trace over a pdf or picture with elevation lines. Terrain> Elevation Data

B. Import a text file (XYZ comma delimited) using File> Import> Terrain Data

C. Import GPS data from a .gpx file using File> Import> Import GPS Data

Depending on the complexity of the lot and the needs of the project but sometimes it is easier to get it close visually using just Elevation Lines and Regions. 

2 hours ago, CarrieS said:

Terrain data usually comes from a surveyor. There are businesses out there that can map it out for you with a drone too or your city or county office might have something on file. 

Depending on the format you might need to

A. Trace over a pdf or picture with elevation lines. Terrain> Elevation Data

B. Import a text file (XYZ comma delimited) using File> Import> Terrain Data

C. Import GPS data from a .gpx file using File> Import> Import GPS Data

Depending on the complexity of the lot and the needs of the project but sometimes it is easier to get it close visually using just Elevation Lines and Regions. 

Thank you so much. You sent this while I was on the phone with a county person that is assisting me with getting this info.