Second floor defined by knee walls and roof line

Colesb

I'm following the instructions for Manually Drawn Dormers in the HD Pro 2023 Users Guide. Drawing a basic building 30 x 40. It says draw first floor, then Build New Floor by "Derive new floor from 1st floor plan". Below is what I get when I do that. Below that is what I want. I was able to get what I wanted by making "New Blank Floor" and just drew the 2 new walls in and changed them to knee walls. Are the instructions wrong or much more likely, do I have a setting or my technique wrong? Thanks

image.thumb.png.6690b9d75c94ab5544760b80686ff12b.png

image.thumb.png.0144f572129006ae6a876380eb9efb74.png

Set the second floor ceiling height to maybe 1-1/2", for the height of a single sill plate.Then rebuild the roof, checking "ignore 2nd floor" on the roof DBX. Turn of "auto rebuild roof" and change the 2nd level ceiling height to what you want it to be and the walls won't come through the roof. You may need to adjust the roof start by the "transform/replicate" tool to get the rafter cuts to start at the sill plate you added

Thanks for that Keith. I'm not sure my way wasn't simpler than that. But I thought this was pretty much a standard thing to be able to just put a roof on any floor, then build rooms between the joists. My way of just putting a new blank floor on was very simple for this test application, As I said, I'm just learning this and thought there may be a reason not to do it as I did. I really appreciate you taking the time to work on this. The thing that really throws me is the user guide tutorial said to just add the second floor, but their picture shows a one-story with 12 12 pitch roof.

• 2 weeks later...

I was revisiting this today and one thing that wasn't clear in the instructions in the User's Guide was that I was supposed to build roof over 1st floor with 12/12 pitch, then turn off auto build roof before adding the 2nd floor. This kept the building to 1 story and my second floor was within the walls as described in the instructions. I'm just posting this to maybe help some other newbie, that is trying to follow the instructions and learn how to do manual dormers.