Setting appropriate expectations for HD Pro (Deck Framing replacement)

MrPete

I'm a reasonably advanced DIY homeowner (and experienced engineer.) I'm replacing the rapidly-rotted frame under our deck.

• Current goal: create drawings and materials lists needed to obtain permits and do materials purchasing.
  • Unusual element: I'm reusing the 6x6 posts under the deck, which are 100% fine. So I need to manually set post placement etc.

I've rented Home Designer Pro, and am rapidly running into what appear to be frustrating limitations of the software.... or else my expectations are wrong.

My assumptions: this software, used properly, can help me...

• Create plan drawings sufficient for our regional building department
  • Create materials lists appropriate for estimating and ultimately purchasing

I immediately ran into what to me seems a set of dead ends for deck frame design:

• None of the videos and tutorials show a design that includes the necessary connecting hardware on a deck frame (frankly, they look more flexible but no more detailed than any of the no-cost deck design systems)
  • There IS a comprehensive Simpson Strong Tie hardware library, but it is only available to those who purchase Premier along with SSA.

Did I just waste $59 on a month's rental for a product that can't actually accomplish either of the above goals? [See below. Nope! SUCCESS! :D ]

What should be my expectations with this software, and/or what software do I need to actually accomplish my goals?

THANKS MUCH!!!

Edited by MrPete
Tweaked to reflect new understanding :)

(FWIW, signature display is so I see OTHER people's signatures ;) )

I've already used the help system.  And I listed what software I am using in my question. But happy to comply with community standards, so now it's also in my signature :)

Only you know what is required for permitting.

And keep in mind, this is not deck design software. The deck related parts of the software need lots of work and you will probably need to things manually to create an accurate model.

8 minutes ago, MrPete said:

None of the videos and tutorials show a design that includes the necessary connecting hardware on a deck

The program does not automatically do this. 

9 minutes ago, MrPete said:

There IS a comprehensive Simpson Strong Tie hardware library,

Search the Simpson website and the 3D Warehouse for symbols you may import.

Also search for CAD details that already show the needed hardware and include them. You might find some already in the Library, or in one of the Bonus Catalogs.

12 minutes ago, MrPete said:

Create materials lists appropriate for estimating and ultimately purchasing

The materials list reflects the model. Accurate model equals accurate materials list.

Thanks for those thoughts, Eric! They pretty much match what I've found so far:

• I *do* expect to do significant manual work. After all, what I create must match an existing terrain, supports, and house.
  • Not only does the program not auto-include connecting hardware...
    • ...Any imported objects in HD Pro are brought in as "independent interior fixtures, meaning they will be located on the "Fixtures, Interior" layer in Display Options." -- not exactly what I need for a materials list and permit drawings :)

18 minutes ago, solver said:

The materials list reflects the model. Accurate model equals accurate materials list.

• Since I can't create an accurate model without any connecting hardware, it's a bit tough to create an accurate materials list.

Is there a way to bring in CAD details for inclusion in the design, or only as isolated drawing groups of some kind?

• 4 weeks later...

A followup for future searchers:

Bottom line: I was able to use Home Designer Pro to

• Directly create the primary (Arch D size) plan documents required by our Regional Building Department for my permit request, which was quickly approved on the first try. SUCCESS!
  • Generate a starting Materials List, which (with much editing) formed the beginning basis of my purchase order.

In addition to HDpro, other software was ultimately needed:

• RBD required some additional documents, which I integrated into a composite PDF using Adobe Acrobat. There ARE other ways to do that.
  • Any spreadsheet software (eg Google Sheets, no charge online) could fix up the materials list

I'll create a separate thread with hints for others who want to use this software for deck design.

Design project complete! Thanks all, and particularly @solver :)

• Like 1

• MrPete changed the title to Setting appropriate expectations for HD Pro (Deck Framing replacement)