Modifying a plan

jmyers

Over the past couple of days, I've got to the point that I can complete a simple plan that is satisfactory to my needs (foundation plan, floorplan, elevations).  However, I experience great difficulty when I try to enlarge a completed plan.  I assume that it is a simple process for an experienced user to open a completed plan and modify it by making the exterior dimensions greater to enlarge the square footage.  When attempting to do this, I have difficulties in a couple of areas listed below:

A. Getting the roof back to being correct

- Roofs wont auto rebuild to the way they were before, even after I set all wall/roof specs as they were before

- Changing roof pitches is now impossible (for me -- new user)

- Auto roof returns no longer work (full, etc.)

Would anyone care to give me some pointers on what I should consider before I just lengthen exterior dimensions in order for plan to be able to be "put back together" the way that it was before my changes?  Starting from scratch each time I want to grow an existing model isn't appealing to me if I can keep from doing so.

Thanks to all who reply and assist!

1 minute ago, solver said:

There are plenty of videos. 

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)

Home Designer - Getting Started - Setting Preferences and Defaults

My Roofs playlist

Eric -- I greatly appreciate the advice!  I've been studying some of those resources and will continue to do so.