mariodajti

Rail Posts/Newels on Porch

Just watched your video. It was helpful, thank you. I will try to mess around with it and see how it plays out, hopefully I am successful. Really appreciate your time 

On 4/26/2020 at 6:47 PM, mariodajti said:

Hello,

I am trying to create a porch with railings and posts and I am having a hard time manually adding the posts to the rail. I literally tried everything. I am new to the program, so I am trying to learn everything as I go along and with watching videos, but I can't find anything on how to manually add a post to a rail. I am using a 3D symbol post, but even if I use posts from the Chief Architect library it still shows the baluster sticking out of the post. I used the "Point to Point Move" tool too and the baluster from the rail is still sticking out. I am using "Turned Barcelone" fence/rail from the Home Designer Core Catalog. Does somebody have any idea on how to manually add the post to the rail? I turned the newel/post option off because even if I turn it on, I want to use my own symbol and I don't want the newel/post to be right next to the baluster.

Mariodajti said in a private message: 

Hello Doug, 

First off, I would like to thank you for taking the time out to further assist me in trying to figure this out and resolve the issue. I did not think of that great idea and it seems to work. The only thing is, is the foundation for me disappears when I break the wall and make it invisible. How do I prevent that from happening? 

Best,

Mario Dajti

And

I followed all these steps and still the same thing. The foundation disappears. I repeated every step just like you instructed. I am not sure why I am having this problem. I made the railing around the whole porch like you said, then added the post, and used the wall break tool at the intersection and did the next steps.

So I replied:

Ok, sorry to hear that.  Try this. 

Make a square with railings.

Break one wall using the wall break tool.  

Does the room still exist?

911231805_WallBreakTool.thumb.jpg.f480473dcf6a3824be5127a2d9c910fc.jpg

Make sure that both sections of the railing wall are still touching.

Regards

Doug

Both Eric's and Doug's methods work, but this method might be easier to manipulate.

Draw default deck rail walls.  Open each rail and reduce thickness to 1", and set as "invisible". This forms the 'Room".
Add your post (I would resize it to 12" wide X 12" deep).

Draw a new default deck rail outside of the porch.
Open the rail and put a check in the box "no room definition".
On the rail style tab, select "panels". Uncheck the boxes for "top rail" and "bottom rail".

On the newel/balusters tab, reduce the width of the newel to 0" (if you want to eliminate them).
Select the turned panels from the library.

You can now ctrl/drag the new rail over the existing default rail.
Proceed to drag the end of the turned rail to it's finished position.

image.thumb.png.675973d1fbf2911e2c0e43c0b02e95e5.pngimage.thumb.png.33406a11d613e348b3edcda95ecb7471.pngimage.thumb.png.4f9f2bd8ee349bcdce22e129269204d5.png

with all do respect to all of you, none of these tips are working for me...... 

On 5/9/2020 at 12:19 AM, mariodajti said:

with all do respect to all of you, none of these tips are working for me...... 

If breaking the railing (wall) makes the foundation disappear it is because the wall has become discontinuous.  That means there is a gap between the end of one wall and the beginning of the next segment, or, one segment has been changed to NO ROOM DEFINITION. 

Make sure that box is not checked. 

Make sure all of the wall segments are touching end to end.

The entire perimeter of the room has to be continuously surrounded by walls.  

When you say the entire perimeter of the room has to be surrounded by walls, this is a front porch, so steps leading to the front door. I just added the front porch to the house and didn't put walls at the front because there is already a wall there with the front door, I just added the walls around with the fence to form the porch. Is that okay? Other than that, I made sure the walls were connected and they all are and the "NO ROOM DEFINITION" was unchecked.