Roof layers

barthmv

I have tried without success to insert roof sheathing into my plan and have discovered this is not an option in Home designer Pro.  In fact roof sheathing of any type in pro is not an option.  Since sheathing is definitely a component of pretty much all roof types it should be able to be modeled and inserted into material lists for a plan. Your software has already recognized the need to allow walls to insert layers so something along the same line would be nice for roof layers.  A version update with this option would be nice. 

Thank You

Thank you for posting your question.  While roof layers are not available in Home Designer Pro (they are in our Chief Architect Premier version), it does include  OSB sheathing for your roof planes automatically.  You can change this roof sheathing material to plywood or other material.  You will find this material control in the "Build Roof" dialog box in the "Materials" tab.  The roof sheathing is also calculated in the Materials List so you have the quantity as well.

Kind regards,

Derek

Chief Architect Sales

Thank you Derek for  your answer.  I find that if I create a new plan and build the roof  there is indeed a sheathing material choice in the materials tab but in my existing plan that option is labeled "default" and the sheathing material is listed as fir framing.  I tried deleting the roof and rebuilding it and the sheathing is still labeled default. Unable to change it.  I will question the members in the question and answer forum and see if someone might have an answer as to why the default designation shows up.  As I said above this isn't an issue with new plans.  Thanks again.