Cabinet Design functionality in the $79.95 DIY version?

beittelb

I am considering the purchase of the $79.95 version of the Interior Design product. I've watched the tutorials and looked at the user documentation, and those make it look like the like the kitchen cabinets can be resized and customized the same as in the more expensive Architectual and Pro versions.

However, when I visit the page that has a table comparing products, for the Interior Design product, it simply has a bullet under "Standard Cabinet Tools", and another mention of "Moldings only" on the Advanced Cabinet line. Further, it looks like there is no function for adjusting door and drawer styles.

SO.....Is there a video that shows the JUST THE FUNCTONS and CAPABILITIES of the $79.95 software package? I don't want to be misled like I was with the Punch brand design package I just installed and am working on getting returned.

Any Home Designer software title allows adjustment of cabinets in whatever measure units you assign to it in "Edit - Default Settings - Cabinet".

I have been being in the construction field for forty years but "RTA cabinets" is not a term I am familiar with nor am I familiar with "Conestoga Cabinets" so those words are merely not understood by me. There are countless firms that make cabinets and one cannot know them all.

I suggest that you download a free trial version of Home Designer Pro and see for yourself how the software is laid out and how it functions.

If I were you I would not waste my time and money on the cheapest software they make expecting it to be the "Sun, Moon and Stars". The main limitations of whatever you do purchase will be self imposed by you. Whether you spend $50.00 or $500.00 for software, it must be carefully studied and practiced with to be of ANY use to anyone. The most common thing I observe by new users is that they buy an application, install and use it without ever studying it or spending time to learn how to use it and then place blame at its makers for not being "intuitive" enough.

There is no way for me to know beforehand what you mean by "Industry Standard" . 

I cannot guarentee your satisfaction any more than Chief Architect Inc can. They do have a money back guarentee if you are not satisfied (speak to their Sales Department to verify this first please). I have used their software since 1994 with total satisfaction as a user and teacher-tutor specializing in residential and light commercial projects and applications. Only you can insure your own satisfaction in the end, by careful study and practice of your tools, whatever you actually do buy.

Hello,

Thank you for the question.  Below is a list of the primary differences between the Interiors version and Architectural in regards to the cabinet function.

1. Architectural has the ability to create angled cabinets.
  2. Interiors only has standard hardware for pulls and hinges.  Architectural has a catalog to choose different hardware.
  3. Architectural has additional drawer styles but the door styles are the same.
  4. Architectural has a larger catalog of molding profiles.
  5. Architectural has the ability to specify custom cabinet labels.
  6. Architectural has a custom counter top tool for custom shapes for counter tops.
  7. Architectural has a custom backsplash tool.
  8. The resize of cabinets works the same in all products.

I hope this helps.  Feel free to call our sales department at 208-292-3400 if you would like to discuss.

Kind regards,

Derek

Chief Architect Sales

• Upvote 1

I looked up Conistoga cabinets and got a deffinition of RTA (Ready To Assemble), at a glance it appears that their styles are about the same as other, main line cabinet firms (I just quickly looked and not in depth) but as Derek points out or infers above, the more you spend on the software package the more choices and functionality your will recieve and it is hard to predict what may or may not be sufficient for your purposes. In any case I wish you well and success.

DJP

Bit strange David I see no mention of "RTA cabinets" or "Conestoga Cabinets in the OP's post....  I guess someone did some editing for some reason.....

It's a pity more information like DerekP's posted above isn't more readily available , the good news is if you do need to upgrade you get a full rebate of the price paid against the new title...

I bought the $79 package....and it has all the function I was hoping for , so I'm very happy, and we'll on my way thru a project that was being held up because my old laptop that was running XP broke beyond repair, and the 3d Borderbrund design program that I loved for years...was no Londoner available. I made the mistake of buying the Punch version....what a total disappointment! Getting my money back in that. I likely will upgrade eventually..thanks Chief Architect for such a great software package...rave reviews from me....I'm back in business!

Bit strange David I see no mention of "RTA cabinets" or "Conestoga Cabinets in the OP's post....  I guess someone did some editing for some reason.....

It's a pity more information like DerekP's posted above isn't more readily available , the good news is if you do need to upgrade you get a full rebate of the price paid against the new title...

He sent an e mail to me directly that contained those references.

DJP