Chamfer a framing member

rfcomm2k

Is it possible to manually place a framing member and then chamfer one end of it?

Case in point is the need to manually place collar ties in roof framing. Need to extend tie from inside post to outside wall. Where it ends at the outer edge of outside wall the roof rafters come down but the collar tie does not have the slope at the end to match the rafter slope. Therefore it looks like a dinosaur's ridges at the edge of roof.

Great tutorial David but the chamfer I am looking for cuts an angle on the side view rather than the top view. I tried to duplicate what you did and it worked just as you did it, but then when I tried to make the chamfer on the vertical face by using an orthographic view I could not access the break line object,

So I deleted it and then while still in the ortho view I drew another polyline box. This time the break line tool was available. I broke the line halfway up the vertical axis (about 4.5" in relation to the thickness of the lumber) and dragged the corner to create the diagonal chamfer.