Library editing

rfcomm2k

I have found several items in my Library that are duplicates. IDK how they got there. Maybe I installed a calibz file twice, or maybe they existed in different files to begin with. Whatever the cause, I want to clean up the library and delete the duplicates.

Furthermore, I have added several paint colors that did not exist in the Behr manufacturer catalog I downloaded from the CA site. These are official Behr colors obtained from their color samples. These colors currently reside in the User catalog, but I really want them in the Behr catalog. How do I put them where they belong?

Duplicate libraries can simply be deleted by right clicking. Manufacturer libraries should be editable using the provided command found in Chief under "Library". As far as I know Core libraries, Bonus Libraries and only be updated or deleted. (Not sure about deletion but you can try and see, if you delete something you wish to keep you can download the core libraries in a new unit of time). I recently spent  some time reorganizing my "User LIbraries", deleting duplicates and organizing them into general categories for my own use. You are free to ask Tech Support for advice as well.

DJP

Thank you David. I did talk to Tech Support and was told that the MFR libraries cannot be edited and that I should be satisfied with adding new objects to the User library and leave it at that.

However, in my opinion that is not a satisfactory answer, because it then requires me to search two different particular case I am trying to update the Behr paint selections. The existing Behr library is outdated, and I have already added the new colors to my user library, but in my opinion these new colors should be in the MFR library under the Behr products.

I have started tinkering with the databases and have discovered that they are SQLite files. I was able so far to open the User library and have explored it. I am going to go look at the Behr.calib file next. (first you need to extract it from the Behr.calibz file).

I am sure there are people out there who think what I may be attempting will void warranties, etc, and IF my product was covered still I would certainly try to avoid it. But I do not understand why CA needs to keet the MFR files so tightly controlled when they are free to begin with. 

Are you listening CA? Give us access to the MFR files so we can keep them up to date and keep our software organized. Let us move objects from the User library to the appropriate MFR library.

I have to agree with CA.  Editing the standardized manufacturer  database does not sound like a good idea to me.  What happens the next time you update the Library catalogs?  Does it overwrite your edit? Probably.   Does it perhaps corrupt the update?  Maybe.  You create  "Behr new color de jour number 4" and add it to your personalized manufacturer catalog.  If that color is then added to the CA distributed manufacturer database, what happens?  Too many downsides.  The manufacturer database should be the same for everyone, which it currently is (out of date as it may be).

My question would be more along the lines of, what is the update process/timeline for the manufacturer database?  In the meantime, place the customized objects in the user library and use the filter function.  I realize this is not what you want, just my 2 cents.