How do I get rafters to sit on 2nd floor joists?

YankeeBob

I'm trying to get an accurate design of a house I'm building that is a 1-1/2 story craftsman.  I've tried to change ceiling heights which was fine but the rafters always end up setting on the first floor walls though my plan is setting them on a 2x6 set on top of the 2nd floor joists.  Any clues?

framing view.pdf

That is exactly what I'm trying to do.  I'll upload the plan for you to see.  This is all new to me.....

I obviously have a lot to learn and reading here helps a lot.  Eventually I'll upgrade to Pro when I can but for now

using this helps me conceptualize what is going on.   I sure wish that more designers used 3D software as I run into

a variety of problems building these houses.   Simple things like finding out that the stairs run thru the corner of a doorway for one.

Are you concerned with creating accurate framing, or just getting the look correct?

That is, you need to raise your roof up so it aligns with how it will be built, and will look correct in 3D views.

Suite is very limited in terms of framing. You cannot change your floor or ceiling structure, for example. Your roof options are also limited.

It's a good tool for visualization, as long as it does not need to be accurate.

If you are serious, I'd suggest the upgrade to Pro, as it gives you the ability to model what will be built. This includes the ability to directly modify framing as required, and to correctly model your roof. 

I did the image posted above using these tools, and it's not possible to do in Suite.

Thanks for the info.  I was wondering if that might be the case.  I'll probably bite the bullet and upgrade as this still represents  a reasonable way to work.  I'd often thought of going the full route but since there is no income stream paying for it I just consider it a hobby expense.  At my age I don't have too many expensive hobbies left.... :D