Steep topography challenge

joe28704

My lot in NC, USA has a steep topography challenge involving driveway and home placement.

The home interior design is a far secondary concern.

What software would be most appropriate for a modeling a home site /driveway on challenging topography?

My skill level is novice. I do have an mechanical engineering background.

Thank you.

What software are you currently using please? Generally speaking the topography tools in HD and in Chief Premiere are very similar and other that roofs are the most difficult for a new user to master, so my advice would be to make sure you understand each "elevation object" is designed to work (carefully read and study the "Users Guide" and the "Reference Guide sections that address elevation objects and then practice using them, one at a time checking the effects they have after placing and changing the input box values one at a time so you really get what the cause and effects are.

DJP

• Upvote 2

Hello Joe,

Thank you for the question and for your interest in Home Designer Software.  If you have access to a property survey with topo information in a cad format such as a DXF file you can import the terrain and contour elevation data and automatically convert it into a 3D model of the terrain.  You would need our Home Designer Pro version as a minimum product to import the terrain in a cad format.  Here is a tech article about how this is done.  Note that this is a Chief Architect help article so some of the options will not be available in Home Designer Pro.  For example, you can only import DXF terrain in HD Pro, you can't import DWG files in Pro.  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00719/importing-terrain-elevation-data-from-a-dxf-or-dwg-file.html

There are additional ways to develop your terrain including importing GPS data and using the terrain tools such as elevation lines, points and regions.  For these tools you would need our Home Designer Suite or above.

Kind regards,

Derek

Chief Architect Software

• Upvote 1