Symbol imported from Sketchup have handles 90 degrees to graphic

WDBofVA

Go to solution Solved by WDBofVA,

I created a simple object in Sketchup that imports with the object handles at 90 degrees to the symbol graphic in plan view - but the 3D view renders aligned to the handles. I have tried several things to fix this but to no avail. I have also seen this problem with at least one other symbol I downloaded from the 3D Warehouse. I am sure the problem is pilot error in Sketchup but I have no idea what I did wrong or how to fix it. Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

post-1218-0-48288400-1453962981_thumb.jpg

Symbols have two components: at 2D block that you see in plan view and a 3D element that you see in camera views. This is just poor construction of the symbol by its author (anyone and I mean anyone can upload to 3D Warehouse). That means that a lot of those Sketch Up files are poorly made if free. I often have to download several files to obtain one useful, well make symbol.

The symbols in your library browser created by Chief Architect Inc have all been tested and edited to work.

Chief Architect Premier has tools to edit and correct poorly made symbols, Home Designer does not have these additional tools. If you must do so, poorly made symbols can be repaired in Sketch Up but learning how to do that is up to you.

DJP

David,

Thank you for your input. I fully appreciate that no one polices the 3D Warehouse and I agree that many symbols have a verity of problems. I am by no means a Sketch Up (SU) power user but the HDP libraries that are available from CA are limited and SU provides a way to fill in the gap. I will start over with this symbol and hope that I don't make whatever mistake, that caused this problem, again. I have found no guidance from CA as how to make a proper symbols for HDP. I thought there might be a SU power user in the forum membership that could offer a corrective suggestion or guidance to problem resolution documentation. Google's help does not address the relationship between their symbols and any CAD package usage (that I can find).

I can't seem to make a good symbol with Sketch Up 2016. I made a simple cube without details or color. The 'solid inspector' said it is a good solid. I saves it twice, first as version 2016 and then as version V8 and neither imported into HDP correctly. Both gave error messages...

(skp save as 2016)
C:\p4sync\dev\Releases\16\chief\source\Import3dHelper.cpp(378): Error #272032211
"Couldn't create a symbol.  There were no 3D surfaces found in the data file."
1/29/2016 12:33:52 AM
Build: 16.4.1.20x64

(skp saved as Ver8)
C:\p4sync\dev\Releases\16\chief\source\SKPReader.cpp(482): Warning #272032528
"Could not read in an assigned material from the model.  A default material will be used instead."
1/29/2016 12:38:21 AM
Build: 16.4.1.20x64

Both came in with the same 90 degree difference between the plan and 3D views as well.

Maybe it's the Windows 10 upgrade or a Sketch Up 2016 bug.

I fear that i may be talking to myself, but...   I may be blaming the wrong program.

This morning I tried importing a previously used skp file and now it arrives with the 90 degree error and with the color all wrong.  I am using HDP 2015 and have Windows 10.

I then used an existing plan, that I have not loaded since changing to Windows 10, and imported a skp file that was already in the plan. This time it was wrong. Clicking on the existing copy in plan gave proper handles. I had previously added that symbol to the user library so I added another instance from the library and it was proper. It appears that there is a compatibility issue between HDP 2015 and Windows 10.

Comments?

• Solution

Prologue...

I have now discovered that the culprit is not HDP or Sketch Up or Windows 10. It's the plan I was working with. I have a complex house plan that I was using when I tried to import symbols into when I started having trouble with even the simplest symbols. I found that if I created new plan and imported the symbols into that one, there was no problem. I also found that if I added those symbols to the user library and returned to my complex house plan - I could use them flawlessly from that library.

This is not a solution but a work-a-round. The root cause is still a mystery. Apparently my house plan is corrupt in some way. Is there a tool or procedure that can repair a plan file?

I will mark this topic as solved only because I have side stepped my problem. I hope that it helps someone that encounters this problem. I will start looking for topics involving a corrupt plan file.

Thank You!

• 4 months later...

Problem: Importing of 3D objects result in the 2D object representation (2D Block) in Floor Plan View being rotated 45/90 degrees or more different from the 3D/Camera View.

This problem is caused by a Floor Plan View that is NOT set to 0 degrees during import of the 3D symbol into the Plan.

Solution: Before importing 3D symbols, Rotate Plan View must be set to zero degrees.

Tools\Rotate Plan View..., Set "Rotate to:" to 0.0

I would call this a bug.

Thank You Joe! This explanation fits perfectly with my experience with this issue. That is why the imports that I did in a new empty project and added to my library worked correctly even when I added them from the my library to the rotated plan, I love it when a solution make perfect sense.

• 2 years later...