Ceilings and auto walls

Halcyon

Hello,

A new user here and my first posting. My query is re. auto generated walls and how they show on the plan. Hopefully there is a plan attached and you will see that there is a shed (skillion) roof on the east and another on west side. I manually drew the roofs and auto walls were generated above the existing wall: they then show up on the floor 2 plan. 

The east one I made into an invisible wall and that worked well. When I do that to the west side the generated wall disappears from the 3D view - not good. Can anyone tell me what is happening here?

When I auto build the ceiling/floor for floor 1 the rafters on the east shed roof go at what I consider the wrong way and are tapered cut. I can delete these and then build manual, but would prefer not too. Again, what is happening here? I haven't fussed about sizing the framing elements yet, that will come later. Lots of other questions, but I won't push my luck at this stage.

It has taken a lot of work to get this far, but have enjoyed myself immensely and learned a lot along the way and am impressed by the capabilities of this program and the helping attitude of those who frequent this forum.

Thanks.

Pat O'Connor

In case it doesn't come in the signature, I'm using HD Pro 2016

Double cavity 2A-GV.plan

Welcome Pat.

It would help me (us) if you were a bit more specific about a few things.

you will see that there is a shed (skillion) roof on the east and another on west side. I manually drew the roofs and auto walls were generated above the existing wall: they then show up on the floor 2 plan.

East and West are not shown on your plan, so you might use right/left/top/bottom as viewing on screen.

What existing wall were the auto walls generated above? 

Using a program that lets you write/circle things etc on an image often conveys more information than a written description. Paint on a PC is one program, but far from the best.

Thanks for the reply Eric. Yeah, my bad. I'm that used to working with grid maps where north is always at the top that I didn't think about it not being the case in drafting.

There are 2 shed roofed areas. The one on the left (west) has a problem wall which is seen sticking out by itself in the floor 2 plan view. If I make it invisible then it disappears from the wall when  viewed in 3D. Is there any way of wiping it from the plan view, but still have it in  the 3D view?

I've attached a pic of the problem ceiling rafters, which show up as the light coloured members in the right of the image. They form the ceiling space under the shed roofed area on the right (east) of the building. I can see no reason why they run the "wrong" way and are tapered. Any ideas?

Much thanks.

Pat

post-3219-0-46736400-1438951300_thumb.jpg

Open Help and search "joist direction". This should get you going on that issue.

As for the wall. You could turn off the display of Attic Walls, and if you uncheck Invisible on the ones you changed, they won't show either,

Of course, this turns of all Attic Walls, so the Attic level will be blank.

This will not turn them off in 3D views.