Do walk breaks not work in solidly drawn walls?

Keith_K

Because the project I am working is an existing building and all the changes will be internal (except for a small extension to the proposed coffee shop) I thought I would make my life easier and the drawing simpler to follow if I changed the detailed walls that I had drawn (i.e. showing insulation gap etc.) to solid colours - grey for existing walls and black for new walls.  The attached picture below is the suggested changes to be made to what is currently a car showroom.  The 5500mm dimensions in the picture are the size of the full height sliding doors.  The 650mm and 200mm dimensions that I have ringed are existing walls.  When I try and use the wall break tool nothing happens and no break line is inserted.  I tried dragging a "new" wall back and then drawing and old wall in the gap and the result is shown in the image.   If it is the case that the tool doesn't work in solid walls because it needs more than one layer in a wall I could go back to the previously used detailed wall specs (which defeats my original thought of simplicity in the drawing entirely) but I would prefer the wall break tool to work. :angry:

Or maybe the solution is that I shouldn't really think. :unsure:

I did not have time to devote to your question earlier this week, but now your attachments are missing (images and plan file). So all I might add is that sometimes insisting upon "walls only" is not the best course in terms of 3D modeling. I rather think I might also use soffits to emulate small wall segments next to other walls as a more workable solution over the use of tiny wall segments which are often times hard to work with and control-soffits are not hard to control.

DJP

Gosh!  A response just as I was about to post again! ;)   I took down those previous images yesterday as I was trying to delete this topic completely but it seems as if you aren't allowed to do that.

After a couple of hours of fiddling I have managed to get what I wanted.  I decided that as the extension for the coffee shop was so small I would use SIPS walls and see if this helped me achieve the breaks I( needed.  And yes, they did.  Well to a 99% success rate.  What has happened is that I am no longer able to open the DBX for the coffee shop for whatever reason.  The change of walls has also changed the floor finish of the coffee shop from tile to oak plank and I have decided to just leave it because it isn't all that unattractive.

I guess that what the past few days have taught me is that while it is nice to get help from others because it tends to sort things out quicker, one can (sort of) get there on one's own in the end.  :o

Now, after waiting for what seems like an interminable time for the plan to upload, I'm off to feed the birds and then for a shower followed by a nice cold beer!  :D

post-52-0-95967800-1437322505_thumb.jpg  post-52-0-31594300-1437322532_thumb.jpg

Oaklands - proposed development 19.07.15 correct celing heights.plan