Modifying an SKP File

halversonjl

I am working with an architect who has built a full house model in 3D in Sketchup. I would like to be able to manipulate it to work through the selections process with the homeowners. Unfortunately, while I can navigate the model in 3D, and can paint surfaces, I can't select any of the 'objects' in the file already (cabinets, furniture, etc.) Considered having the architect remove all that so I just had a blank shell, as I was able to place a test cabinet, but there is no floorplan to help place it and it is hard to move it around in the space without any way to snap it where I want it to go. Anyone had success with importing and manipulating in this way? Captured a video of my screen for easier comprehension but file size is way over maximum to share :/

7 hours ago, halversonjl said:

Considered having the architect remove all that so I just had a blank shell, as I was able to place a test cabinet, but there is no floorplan to help place it and it is hard to move it

Skp mesh isnt editable in Home Designer so most of us would just redraw the building as it would be quick enough to do for a proficient technician. Otherwise you might have to give sketchup a try.
What is the scope of your work on this project?>

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, halversonjl said:

@Renerabbitt I am the designer so I will be working through cabinetry layouts and applying finishes to the model as they are selected. It is a complex house and redrawing it to be able to space plan and manipulate finishes seems like a lot of duplicative effort. 

thats pretty typical with cross platform design, thats why many of us either learn and hold licenses in many softwares or become very proficient in one so as to recreate it. Ultimately it's beneficial to find an architectural designer that utilizes Chief.
You can always pay a technician to build the model for you