Texture orientation issues on export with Cabinet Doors No.2 -- Skinny/Slim/Micro Shaker

DaveRegis

Go to solution Solved by Renerabbitt,

I'm using Home Designer Pro 2024 with the Cabinet Doors No.2 bonus catalog.   I'm trying to utilize some of the Shaker variants from that catalog, but on export, the textures on the frame portion of the doors/drawers is incorrect... all four sides of the frame export with the same texture orientation.   Normal framed doors/drawers export fine.

Minor correction: the Micro-Shaker style appears to be part of the cabinet styles found in the Core Catalogs -- but it does share the same issue as the Slim- and Skinny-Shaker found in the Bonus Catalog.

I export the file to DAE format and import the DAE into other various rendering tools (Lumion, TwinMotion and Blender).   The result is consistently incorrect, and Blender shows the frame as a single object (rather than four distinct pieces).  The standard Framed doors/drawer don't seem to have this issue ... the frame portion is exported as distinct pieces with the correct texture orientation.

The screencaps below show the issue I'm having -- HomeDesigner (Left) and Lumion (Right) via DAE export/import.

InHomeDesigner.thumb.png.acbc83fd20f71283c50f4aaea334b5df.pngAfterExport.thumb.png.b8b133c281787bf8901d9f48d8615ad0.png

You would need to assign a unique UV, as-in a unique material. DAE format groups components based on UV, so even though chief has some internal function to rotate UV's, the export will not follow the UV orientation based on export. Create a new material to apply to the panels separate from your rails and stiles

4 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

You would need to assign a unique UV, as-in a unique material. DAE format groups components based on UV, so even though chief has some internal function to rotate UV's, the export will not follow the UV orientation based on export. Create a new material to apply to the panels separate from your rails and stiles

I'd tried that as well, but that didn't help.  For this test, I used a very distinctive material for the rails/stiles, and the panel material is entirely different.  This is really baffling me because the basic 'Framed' doors/drawers work fine.   The only thing that stands out is that the default material for the style I'm trying to use is 'Color - Snow White' ... while the material applies correctly in HomeDesigner, perhaps the models are missing a flag to preserve the UVs for the rails/stiles during export.  Of course, that's pure speculation ... I have no idea what data-structures are like for their models or how they transform things for export.

I guess I can create a texture in Lumion that has the same tone/tint as the panel, but no graining and use that for the frames.

Thank you for your response!

Below: HomeDesigner (Left) and Lumion (Right) via DAE export/import.

InHomeDesigner2.thumb.png.c28a9719dd8675a11169e620a135b850.pngAfterExport2.thumb.png.66a28d4d5a36af0eb42ee07ed4b883a1.png

• Solution

Sorry, I’ll try and be more clear..home designer and chief have an internal symbol mapping that happens within the software separate from a base UV map being applied to a mesh. This is by intent in order to expedite the process of complicated mapping on cabinet doors but when you export, this internal UV remapping is no longer applied and the base UV map is exported. This is expected behavior. You would need someone in the chief premier line make you a custom door symbol if you wanted the stiles and rails independently mapped.