Chamfer , Fillet

CrossFireDesign

Hi There
For Architectural needs I want to chamfer the side corners, and, the top rim of some Concrete Pillars;

According to "Home Designer Pro 2024 Help";  
"The Chamfer Lines edit tool is used much the way the Fillet Lines edit tool is. See to use Fillet Lines, above." I've also checked a number of videos but find nothing very specific to "chamfer".

What I found was "Fillet" at the "Edit"> Edit Behaviors">  "Fillet", but I cannot locate  "Chamfer" which I assumed would be in the same relative menu location.  I also check in the Customize Toolbars menu and found no reference to chamfer.

Additionally to set the fillet "radius" the HELP refers to:  "Click the Fillet Lines  edit button, then click the Fillet Radius  edit button."  But I'm unable to locate that function?

What I was able to do with Fillet is demonstrated in the attached "Pillar.plan file" where I created a small concrete pad then adjusted it's height.  Please note that I was able to adjust the side corner radius by dragging, but was unable to  control for a specific and repeatable radius as indicated by HELP noted above.  I was also unable to create a fillet around the TOP rim of the pillar.

My Questions;
1) Why am I able to fillet the side corners of the pillar but not the top rim?  
2. Where is the fillet "radius" command located?
3) Where is the Chamfer command located ?
4) Where is the Chamfer width command located?
Thank you

Sample Pillar.png

Pillar.plan

HI and Thank you for the response.  

My original post included both a screen shot image of the pillar, and the Sample file" Pillar.plan" file I used.  I am able to see both in the online Forum.

I've included the image again in this post just in case you did not get It 

I've also included  a screen shot of my HD 2024 pull down Edit menu;  It shows a "fillet" Selection, But there  is no "Fillet radius edit" selection, or any chamfer selection at all.

As discussed above l also checked in the Customize Toolbars menu and found no reference to chamfer or "fillet radius edit".

HD does not had a command line so I'm unable to try typing a command like can usually be done in a CAD program.

Should I be contacting Tech support on the missing menu selections?

I will also look at your shapes suggestion.

Thank you

ChamferMenuMissing.png

Sample Pillar.png

Yes, I see it is helpful to sketch out my goal shape for the Pillar. I've attached an image showing my "goal" pillar Shape.  This was about a 30 second task in Rhino 3D and a 1 minute task in Autocad, so It baffles me as to why HD can be so difficult on seemingly simple things, I constantly feel I'm having to learn how to cheat on details in a program that otherwise seems so capable.

Rest assure I do not post anything with outreading and reviewing every reference I can find. And as for Chamfer and Fillet they are discussed the same on the users manual as they are in the searchable help.

I did, however, miss the Edit tool bar "pallet" as it was turned off, thank you for mentioning that, unfortunatly it sill lacked "Chamfer" and "Fillet radius edit" and is otherwise the same as the pull down menu I discussed before.  See attached menu/toolbar screen shot. 

By using Search in the Toolbar customization I did find a single related button titled; "Set Chamfer Distance" I added this to the edit pallet and so far It seems dead, I get an instruction to "Set Chamfer distance, but, that I can find, there is no apparent dialog box or any other response by selecting a line or Object.     

As for the other selections on the edit toolbar; once I select one I cannot get rid of it even after using the so called Sticky toggle button at the bottom of the screen. I had to shut down the program to get rid of them.

Goal of Pillar Shape.jpg

Chamfer Help Quoted.png

Edit tool Pallet.png

Thank you, you've got me on the right track,

I was able to chamfer the vertical corners on a 12x12x24 concrete pillar created from a slab and repeat it.

The process is quite iterative and seems to work best if you;

1) Deselect ,

2) Select pad near desired corner until X appears at midpoint of line,

3) Select chamfer button,

(3a)Select and set chamfer distance for first corner only - if all are same )

4) Hover slowly over the intersecting line of the same corner until the chamfer appears.

5) Click to create chamfer,

Repeat exactly in a clockwise order, changing the set distance only when needed. Careful iteration seems to be the key.

I noticed the program is always trying to adjust dimensions which gets in the way, I'll try turning off dimensioning next time too.

I had tried to locate a HD video yesterday and must have mistyped my search, found it today. 

Link https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5310/fillet-and-chamfer-tools.html?playlist=97

I've learned there is supposed to be an "All corners" option button, but I can't find the button, Yet.

Unfortunately it will not work on the top rim of the pad. Works only the vertical corners of the "pad".  

I do mostly design build, but when I hire a Sub contractor such details are very critical so I may use my other cad programs for some of the detail drawing pages. 

I tried imports from both Rhino 3d and Autocad, I'll need to experiment some to get the mesh right to form a proper solid in HD, but it shows some promise?

I doubt this will be my last question but next time I'll do my best to provide a good illustration of the desired outcome. Result attached.

I'm grateful for your help. 

Pillar-Concrete-12x12-24-Chamfer.jpg

Pillar-Concrete-12x12x24.pdf