Any way to reset display options for each view?

teknishn

Hi. I'm using Home Designer Pro 2024. I was wondering if there was an easy way to reset the Display Options for a given view back to defaults. I recently did the method to display a framing elevation from the "Creating an Elevation View of Wall Framing in Home Designer Pro" tutorial which has the user delete all but two layers, but I didn't bother to make note of which layers were checked for display before doing that. When I wanted to revert back, I had to open a new plan, create an elevation view, open the Display Options, then make note of all of the checked layers. Then I went back to my working plan and manually re-checked all of those. That could get pretty tedious if one would have to do that every time they wanted to drastically modify the Display Options for some one-off use like that. If there's any easier way to reset those options to their defaults, please let me know. I looked the Reset Options in Preferences and didn't see anything obvious there (and certainly don't want to reset a bunch of other stuff just to default the Display Options for a given layer).

You are looking for Layer Set functionality that is present in Chief but has been excluded from the Home Designer versions.

Unfortunately, I don't know a way how you can now reset to default. That said, there is a partial workaround in HDPro to avoiding this problem next time. The developers have ported over (limited) Layout functionality, and that means they've had to partially implement Layer Sets in the background. Here's the work around.

1. Create a new (utility) layout, empty is fine.

2. Before you start tinkering with which layers are displayed in views in your HDPro plan, i.e. with your normal layers selected for display, Send to Layout and stick it anywhere in the layout

3. Now reopen that view *from within the layout*

4. Tinker with whatever layers you want displayed; HD Pro is now working with a special layer set associated only with that layout view. When you use Tools / Display options..., at the top it will no longer say "Properties for  working layer set" but something else; that shows you're working with a special layer set.

5. When you're done (even temporarily), don't change layers displayed back. Just close the view you opened from within the layout, and (if necessary) reopen the Plan, without the layout. You'll be back to using the untouched "working layer set".

By the way, you can have multiple layer sets each "attached" to its own view in the (utility) layout you're using. However, it's kloogey compared to true layer set management in Chief itself, and I find I generally screw it up by user error if I try doing too much at once.

Another way could be to keep the plan open when you are done deleting the layers you don't want to see. When you are done with the view as you want it, hit the "undo" button, which will reverse the changes you made. Once a plan is saved, then "undo" won't work. It will depend on what you are creating the view for as to whether this will be a simpler solution for you or not.