How do I create a constructable Roof Plan in a layout file?

lawrencelam2000

I want to look down on my successfully-drawn roof in 2D straight projection, not perspective, but when I click the floor level change button, of course there are only the levels: "0, 1,2, and A"; nothing higher. How can I get a view looking straight down upon the shingles so that I can lay out my roof, with construction notes and dimensions?

Hi,

First of all, I'm using Home Designer Pro, not Suite; does that make a difference for me?

Second, having a layout view projected straight down onto the roof allows me to indicate where roof penetrations will be, as well as provide a comprehensive, detailed understanding of the completed roof. It just seems to me that a builder of the house would appreciate such a drawing so that he or she doesn't have to guess about what the finished roof will look like, and get questions during construction answered much more readily. This would seem all the more important the more complex a roof is.

On my and my competitor's "non-HD Pro" drawings (by hand or AutoCad, in earlier years before I purchased HD Pro), we have always included roof plans for our clients.

If HD Pro doesn't have the functionality to put the roof plan into a layout file, I will need to create a workaround, with CAD lines, layers on/off, etc. which just seems like a lot of work. Does Chief Architect have this capability?

Thanks for your help.

I have to do "solar ready" areas for house plans. What I do is take the roofs from the various floors and raise them all up to the attic level. Put all of the items you need to show in the attic. There you can make notes as well. Then, hide the walls and all you will be left with is the roof outlines and the other attic items you want.

Also, update your signature to the version you are using, as yes, it does make a difference in what options are available to you.