Create base and concept project versions

windtrader

What tool features or procedures support keeping base and concept plan versions in synch?

The as built (base)  plan contains most basic measurements but missing many details.  Sufficient detail exist to start modeling the various concepts of the remodeled area. What would be ideal is for changes in the base plan to automatically update in the concept versions.

For example, updating the flooring in the base version would show up in the concept version. Ot adding framing to the base and have it show up in the concept plan?

Thanks

• Downvote 1

If you are referring to Remodeling projects I commonly use two plan files:

1. The existing structure or "As Built" which I use to display "Demo Walls" and other changes the remodeling project effects

2. The "Proposed" .plan file where this shows the changes and "New Walls" of a project

This way you can clearly show what was and what will be graphically.

I believe most Architectural software is used in this general fashion and most Permit Authorities require the two views to clearly communicate what is and what is planned.

The as built, once finished is then "Saved - as" the "Proposed" where I then make changes and additions. If the client wants a new version, I save as the "Proposed" and call it "Proposed Version two" etc until they can say "That is exactly what my family and I want!"

DJP

Thanks David,

Your experience echos what I'm learning. That is, the concept of a base/original version that is copied and saved with various alternatives. Once a path is taken, then that version accepts all the modifications into the base/original copy, and becomes the master/final. 

In my case, there are three separate aspects to the planned remodel project. I have a copy of the base for each of these subproject. How these are consolidated once complete will be an interesting bridge to cross. From what I gather there are multiple ways to copy elements from one plan to another.

Will figure out ways to designate current/planned elements on the plan if requested. Otherwise, just adding a few notes onto the plan/views hopefully suffices.