Finish Floor Elevation Recomendation

lzhang84

Hi,

I am new to this and need help determining what the finished floor elevation for this particular site and layout should be.  Lot 2 is where the house will be built.  My first inclination is to go with a 394' elevation since that is the elevation the driveway will come in at.  But that will result in a higher retaining wall on the south side of the property where there is a steep slope.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

-Larry

DRAFT Site Plan.JPG

Larry,

Generally speaking, the higher the better.  Preventing water from entering the house is paramount, especially in your situation building so close to the bottom of a steep slope.  Setting your 1st floor elevation at 394' will mean your driveway entering the garage is completely flat.  Typically a slope away from the house is preferred to keep water from pooling and entering the garage. 1/8" to 1/4" per lineal foot should be plenty.  Additionally, most municipalities require the landscape around the house to be graded such that there is a 2-3" slope away from the foundation out to a 10ft perimeter.  

Depending on the amount of excavation you are willing to do on the south side, I would start with the top of your foundation wall at least 396' (Preferably 398').   Also, observe the properties around you and how they are sloped, you don't want to create a dip in your backyard for water to pool in.  

Having the house at a higher elevation will also help with the view and looking over the house in front of it.

Hope this helps and good luck with your project!

-John

• Upvote 1