Temporary dimensions have gone all strange.

Keith_K

Go to solution Solved by Keith_K,

Previously when I was placing windows in my office block it was all so easy.  Paste the windows all along the wall and then use the temp dimensions to set the distance between window centres.

I have made some dimensional amendments to the length of the building and now need to reset the windows but when I click on them the temporary dimensions are all over the place, missing out windows and even giving the dimension to the centre of  walls.  Previously the dimensions went from window centre to window centre making moving them a piece of cake.

Have I accidentally clicked on some button or the other which has changed the way in which the temp dimensions show thus making it almost impossible to centre the windows now?

post-52-0-95612200-1407883035_thumb.jpg

In display options try turning off Manual/Auto dimensions , as HD won't dimension something IF there is already a dimension in the area/too close.

Of course you may have changed your Dimension defaults in Edit>Defaults>Dimensions>Locate Tab  ?  .... eg surface/dimension layer/centre openings etc.

M.

• Upvote 1

Did you first suggestion but it made no difference.

Haven't been near my default settings for quite some time but this is what they show  vvv.

It's all so frustrating.  I was aiming to finish everything on this plan by the end of the week but it seems as if it is just going to drag on and on and on and...

post-52-0-25975000-1407935835_thumb.jpg

If push comes to shove, you could always add a manual dimension temporarily, set the distance between the two objects, and then delete the manual dimension (or leave it if you have use for it later).  It is just a few extra clicks with the same end result.

Yes, temporary dimensions lines popping up are convenient, but when they (or any of the automated tools) fail, then you still have manual tools to carry on with the work.

More Thoughts :

is it happening everywhere ? or just that one window?  what happens if you delete the 9700 dimension ? ( or move it to other side of room) ,does it put up that window centre then ? If it were just the odd one then I'd probably go with Elovia's advice and move on ,but if multiple on a building that size , it could be time consuming.

In your first image, bottom circle , it appears to be measuring from the Main Layer of the Wall , not the Centre , (zoom in) and though you have it set at Wall Surface, you also have it set to Primary side which is what it is doing.....I think , not sure why it is ignoring the Surface directive though.

I have seen comments in the past were Items that were copy and pasted would not be "seen" correctly ,and deleting them and replacing with the same fixed the issue , perhaps you used copy /paste or transform replicate to do the windows?

Are you using  (+we seeing above)  the temp. dimensions you get clicking on a window or are those the Auto Exterior Dimensions ?   If temp , you could try Auto Exterior and move them that way too, try it ,    do the Auto ext. dims show the same error?

I was thinking your interior dimensions were interfering with the Exterior/Temp dimensions which can usually be gotten around by not displaying them, but your setting look ok to me.

M.

• Solution

Thanks for your input.  I got around the problem by deleting several windows and then, when inserting them again, using the temp dimensions that come up to space them correctly.  Necessity is the the mother of...

...as they say.  :wacko: