How to combine retaining walls & walkout basement...?

DouglasBacon

Go to solution Solved by Kbird1,

Hello! I am quite new to the software.. I am using HDPro 2015 for Mac. I am drafting up a house my family will be building. The house is being built on a ridge. It is a ranch with a walk out basement basically cut into the hillside. So the terrain around most of the house will be high- not far from the top of the foundation.

My difficulty is getting the program to understand the house as the middle of my retaining wall section. In order to get the terrain to cut out, I have to build a retaining wall along the face of the basement, which shows up as a tall wall and is obviously not the way it will be built, seeing as the basement will be there, so there will be no need for holding the earth back. What might be some side steps to this problem?

The most important thing is that I get some good elevation renderings so we can submit the design for approval.

Attached are various elevations and shots of the floor plan view.

Thanks for your help!

Elizabethpost-494-0-58938300-1406263145_thumb.pngpost-494-0-52251600-1406263168_thumb.pngpost-494-0-27149700-1406263178_thumb.pngpost-494-0-03269600-1406263278_thumb.png

• Solution

the wall against the house is doing what it is programmed to do , it doesn't recognise the house Foundation but you can delete it and try a few options

- use the Terrain Flat region (cut/fill Tool) in between the two retaining walls 

- it maybe more accurate to add an elevation line every foot off the house to the end of the retaining walls with each line set at the same elevation as the outer end of the wall  or 4" ? below the French doors so you can add a concrete slab or pavers or ??? in that area. you can draw one at the end of the retaining walls and then use the Transform/replicate tool on the edit toolbar to draw the others back to the house, make the copy no# = the length of the retaining wall and the move distance 12" ( might need -12" depending on the orientation) on the y axis which is up/down on the plan view. Move the one closest to the house right against the foundation wall, then you will probably need to "Build terrain" again once the EL Lines are drawn to get it to update ( even if auto terrain is on)

- the Elevation Region Tool maybe the best tool and saves a lot of work above , it will give you a flat area if you set the elevation height in the DBX and the check box for "interior is flat" .