Essentials vs. Suite

3rd_Floor

I've loved using Home Designer Suite 8 for many years now and it's time to upgrade.

I've seen the product comparison chart and I like the few extras that Suite 2015 has that Essentials 2015 doesn't. But...is Suite any more complex to use?

I want a minimalistic interface...only the basics I need for quickly & easily getting the design down...not lots of cumbersome, esoteric 'Pro' design features and buttons that I'll never use and clutter the screen.  I'd like something simple and uncluttered like Suite 8 but with a larger library of items.

I still use Pro 10 but as far as I a know the "basics" are the same in all levels of the program

as you go up levels , you get extra "Tools" and features to help productivity etc , not a more complicated Program to use on the basic level.

looked at the Product Matrix and one thing you may have missed is that Essentials can not import Library Items from outside sources such as 3DWarehouse (.skp  Sketchup files) Suite can, a useful tool , if Suite's library doesn't have what you need ,you can go online and look for it, it also allows saving things to you Own Library to reuse again and again ,which Essentials can't do.

It can also do Reflections and Record Walkthroughs which Essential can't and has CAD options if you need them to mention a few.

worth the extra $ , I would say ... from my point of view anyway I started with Suite , then AHD, and finally Pro .

Mick

HDS Product comparison-matrix.pdf

I would leave 8 installed for now , so if you find the new library is missing certain items you use a lot , you will be able to import them into  Suite '15 too

I think Essentials still lets you install a lot of Chief's library but Suite has more items , Suites big advantage is you can download free symbols off websites such as Google's 3D Warehouse. AHD and Pro have this capability too.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/

if you have particular needs I'd still call the 1 800 sales no# and ask since I don't have Suite '15 to 100% confirm stuff for you.

Mick