cabinet auto fill

belmont

How do I turn off the Autofill feature for cabinetry?  I would like to place a 24" medicine cabinet in a 26" alcove and have a 1" gap on either side of the cabinet, but the program is adding in filler strips to the sides.

I do not think there is a way in the Home Designer series but I bet the Full CA versions does.

If you look at help it calls it CABINET FILLERS and tells you how they are automatically created between cab and wall and or cabinet within 3"

Can I ask why you would want this gap on each side?

My wife would scream bloody murder about the dirt and dust bunnies back in this gap she cannot clean out and would demand it be sealed off.

Crap I remember how to do this.

Click on cabinet and turn it into an architectural BLOCK and then fillers go away.

This is how I make bookcases - use a full height and open front w/shelves, dimensions and molding etc to my liking and then turn it into block.

Bammmmmmm now it acts like piece of furniture except you cannot modify it anymore unless you explode it and tweak it and then block it again.

Try it!

Thanks, the architectural block works.  The reason I am doing this is because this bathroom is being designed to use off the shelf materials, so I want to make sure that I am giving an accurate representation of what the final product will be.

15 hours ago, y-g-m-n said:

Crap I remember how to do this.

Click on cabinet and turn it into an architectural BLOCK and then fillers go away.

This is how I make bookcases - use a full height and open front w/shelves, dimensions and molding etc to my liking and then turn it into block.

Bammmmmmm now it acts like piece of furniture except you cannot modify it anymore unless you explode it and tweak it and then block it again.

Try it!

Awesome hack. I had a 4" deep medicine cabinet centered above a pedestal sink, but very close to a wall.  At first, I turned the medicine cabinet and pedestal sink into an architectural block.  While this solved the cabinet filler problem, it also made the base molding disappear.  So, I created a teeny, tiny glass soffit, stuck it up under the medicine cabinet behind the very bottom horizontal separation so it would be invisible in 3D views, architectural blocked the two objects, and like you said, "Bammmmmmm!"  Thanks for saving me lots of frustration!

MedicineCabinetArchitecturalBlock.png

only thing I will say is when they are blocks for some reason it becomes a PIA to locate things using dimensions as you lose all the snap points and for some reason it sometimes changes the dimensions.

Example you have cabinet that is 24wide and 1 " countertop overhand on sides. so width should be 24+2 = 26"

Well make it block and then click so it shows temp dim of width and it will put all sorts of crazy things but hardly ever the 26" you expect.

I have seen where you get the ~ in front denoting it is not a true number exact to 1/16" so it thinks this 26" cabinet is now say 26.04"