Standard window sizes - how to specify

MattCarp

Go to solution Solved by solver,

I am working to "finalize" a design in HD Pro '23.   At the moment, I'd like to make sure I'm using standard sizes in my windows.

I'm referencing the standard size charts here:  https://modernize.com/windows/standard-sizes

This chart specifies the rough openings for standard window sizes.

In HD, when I look at a window's properties, is the width and height the rough opening?   Or, do I add the rough opening values listed in the rough opening panel to the width and height?

For example, in my attachments, the window I have designed is 28"w x 48"h.   Using the chart, the closest size is a 2840 window, which specifies a rough opening of 32" x 48".  The rough opening parameters are 1/2", each side, top, and bottom.

I know that I generally don't need to be this precise, but, if I want to make sure my framing lines up with the required rough openings for standard windows, I think I need to just change the window width and height.   

(I was attempting to verify this by looking at a framing elevation, but I have not perfected the technique to view only the framing of the wall elevation.   In some tutorials I see a toolbar drop down for the visible layer set.  I don't see this in my version, and, the reference manual doesn't seem to indicate this.   I do a wall elevation camera, but when I deselect all the layers except for framing, my updated view is blank...)

-Matt

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 10.37.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 10.38.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 10.37.57 AM.png

• Solution

Suggest you reference the manufacturer information for your window choice and ask your supplier about sizing -- what if any advantage is there for choosing "standard" sizing.

Windows are generally made to order, and not stocked somewhere in specific sizes, unless you are buying off the shelf from a retailer.

Probably a better way to do what I show, but this should give you what you need.

• Upvote 1

Most standard/production type vinyl windows are actually slightly smaller than their stated size, so the rough opening is the window size. A 5/0 x 4/0 window (5'w x 4'h); would have a 5' x 4' RO. However, not all windows fit this. Some RO's are 1" over stated window size. As solver stated, check with your window manufacturer.

• Upvote 1