Stairwell Enclosure

CasadelLago

Hi, I'm designing a garage with an ADU above. There is a straight run of stairs from the garage floor level to the floor above. Access is from an outside entrance. There will be no access from the garage. I want the space below the stairs to remain open so it can be utilized in the garage, but want a wall to follow the slope of the stairs and connect with the ceiling above so the stairs are fully enclosed and separated from the garage. I have see references on how to enclose the space below a stairway, but not above. I hope I'm making sense to anyone who reads this. Any suggestions/direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• 2 years later...

I'm sure this is way late for you to make use of it, but it might help others. I had the same problem with an under the stairwell closet/storage that was wider than the width of the stairs. I also wanted handrails on both sides of the stairs. I scoured the forum and combining multiple techniques from different responses I was able to get very close to what I wanted.you will want to work both in plan view and 3D

1) On the first floor put the wall that encloses the stairs, then make all of the materials of the wall "air gap" insulation, (or create a new wall type tat is the width you want and the material is only air gap) do not make the wall invisible the railings will not attache to it

2) Get the isometric wedge shape from the library and place it in the plan view. Rotate the wedge in 3D until the orientation has the flat at the top (ceiling) and the angled slope follows the slope of the bottom of stringers An elevation view helps get this alignment.

3) Adjust the size and shape of the wedge so that it fits the elevation above the bottom. of the stringer to the ceiling and the length of the stairs, you may want an elevation view for this.

4) Go back to the plan view and move the wedge so it aligns with the first floor wall 

5) Visual touch up may be required, the molding still show in 3d, use the air gap material and apply this to them in 3d, you may also see the sub flooring too. I got another close shape and filled in the open space between the flooring they applied the floor material to it. Also apply toy drywall color to the wedge.

6) On the second floor you can have a wall that aligns with the first floor, this will fully enclose the stairwell or you can have railings on the second floor

For some reason the molding still show in the doll house view

I am using HDP 21

Under stair Storage and closet.jpg

Doll house.jpg

I'm sure this is way late for you to make use of it, but it might help others. I had the same problem with an under the stairwell closet/storage that was wider than the width of the stairs. I also wanted handrails on both sides of the stairs. I scoured the forum and combining multiple techniques from different responses I was able to get very close to what I wanted.you will want to work both in plan view and 3D

1) On the first floor put the wall that encloses the stairs, then make all of the materials of the wall "air gap" insulation, (or create a new wall type tat is the width you want and the material is only air gap) do not make the wall invisible the railings will not attache to it

2) Get the isometric wedge shape from the library and place it in the plan view. Rotate the wedge in 3D until the orientation has the flat at the top (ceiling) and the angled slope follows the slope of the bottom of stringers An elevation view helps get this alignment.

3) Adjust the size and shape of the wedge so that it fits the elevation above the bottom. of the stringer to the ceiling and the length of the stairs, you may want an elevation view for this.

4) Go back to the plan view and move the wedge so it aligns with the first floor wall 

5) Visual touch up may be required, the moldings still show in 3d, select the wall and open the object, under general check both, no molding on exterior and interior and then the moldings will not show in either the 3d camera view or dollhouse view

6) On the second floor you can have a wall that aligns with the first floor, this will fully enclose the stairwell or you can have railings on the second floor

I am using HDP 21