BDobyns

Extended roof over inset porch

I have an addition that has a double garage and family room both sharing the same gable roof. The family room has an inset porch across the front. I want to extend the roof about 2 feet beyond the front of the garage to make a deeper porch without talking space from my family room, and I want to keep the roof plane the same - just extend the front of the roof along the deeper porch. I have attached a photo of a house that has the extended roof I am after. When I try to select extend roof on the porch dialog box it changes the entire roof over the room and it is no longer continuous over the adjoining garage, which I do not want to do. I am a novice and still have much to learn (like how to put a foundation under the garage and piers under the porch columns - but those are for another topic.) and any help would be greatly appreciated. My software is Home Designer Pro 2021. Thanks!

Porch to extend.jpg

369_369_1_1.jpg

**** I see you said Pro 2021 ****

You can help everyone by adding that info to your signature (see below for how to turn them on) by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left.

Doing so makes it always available, and keeps others from having to hunt for it.

And, turn on signature display too.

SIG.thumb.jpg.af17109346e9446432098056e258623d.jpg

----

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)

Home Designer - Getting Started - Setting Preferences and Defaults

Auto roofs build over rooms, so you can define a room where you want the extended roof, and read about roof directives in walls like Extend Slope.

Or, break the roof plane and drag it down -- read about manual roofs -- videos on the Chief website or see my roofs playlist on YouTube. Link in my signature.