Sign in to follow this  
Carbaholic

Walls move unexpectedly

I'm using Home Designer Suite and I have a hard time with walls moving on me in ways I don't expect. 

I really wish I could just lock down a wall, or as the Chief Architect forms suggest, put a wall into a locked layer. 

Is there some order to drawing the walls, or a way to add permanent dimensions to walls so that they won't move unless I want them to? 

Walls don't move on their own, they can only be moved by the user.

What are you doing that causes them to move?

I'm having a hard time describing when they move on me, It's been enough of a problem for me that I'm starting from scratch on my plans. As I work on my plans I will look for a concrete example and share a specific scenario. 

In other systems I've used, if you put a fixed dimension on a wall, it can't move unless you edit that dimension. You can also lock walls in place. Does Home designer have these features? 

5 minutes ago, Carbaholic said:

if you put a fixed dimension on a wall, it can't move unless you edit that dimension. You can also lock walls in place. Does Home designer have these features? 

No.

Users occasionally have this problem and question about locking walls, and it's because they are not using the program correctly.

It seems like, although maybe it's not, that when a wall does move in an unintended way, that it would be immediately noticeable.

There is a tutorial accessible via the Help menu which may help, and there are videos and articles on the Home Designer website, and the Chief Architect YouTube channel linked below. The hour long Getting Started webinars for Home Designer may help, although they always use Pro, so they will show tools Suite lacks, but the basics are the same.

-----

I see you said Suite, but answers often depend on which version (2018, 2019 etc) you are using.

You can help everyone by adding this info (Suite and whatever version you have) to your signature (see below for how to turn them on) by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left.

Doing so makes it always available, and keeps others from having to hunt for it.

And, turn on signature display too.

SIG.thumb.jpg.af17109346e9446432098056e258623d.jpg

----

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)