Should "open below" be used to create this open area?

pjdaly

Background: I find it less problematic to set up the floors and ceiling platforms and not create a lot of rooms, initially, to avoid varying platform heights issues.

This drawing was created with the open area over the dining area initially as a bedroom type labelled "open over dining".

Then wide open space was created by changing that type from a bedroom type to actually be "Open Below".  

The second floor has its ABS Floor (C) as 96" and the first floor has its ABS Floor (C) as the standard Zero.

That remaining green bedroom up on the second floor (with massive passthrough window added to peek inside) has the desired flat ceiling at the top of its shed roof ceiling (the break line is highlighted).   But the same flat ceiling that *was* there in the temporary bedroom went away when the room type was changed to "Open Below."  I sorta expected that figuring I'd have to adjust the ceiling height.  So far so good. 

The green bedroom has it's ABS Ceiling (B) at 213 7/16" which is REL Rough Ceiling 117 9/16" distance from its ABS Floor (C) of 96" (makes sense).

So the job was to fix the ceiling height for the Dining Room which has an "Open Below" above it now whereas it *had* a temporary bedroom with a working flat ceiling. 

However, the "Open Below" seems to have a leftover knowledge of its floor platform (L) 7 7/8" from when it was a bedroom.

Both the relative height and the absolute height of the Dining Room ceiling should match because the Dining Room ABS Floor (C) is ZERO.

When setting the ceiling height for the Dining Room:

If I set the ABS Ceiling (B) for the dining room to that of the bedroom, 213 7/16", it becomes so.   But the REL Rough Ceiling (E) becomes 221 5/16" which is EXCESSIVE by the (L) distance.

If I set the REL Rough Ceiling (E) to the 213 7/16", it becomes so.  But the ABS Ceiling (B) becomes 205 9/16 which is SHORT by the (L) distance.

I figure this is either a bug or I shouldn't be trying to create the open space over the Dining Room using an Open Below.

Just looking for whether its a bug or a don't-do.

Screen Shot 2023-12-16 at 13.05.28.png

Interesting.... I got the ceiling to come back.

It appears you can't change the room to Open Below and then forget about it like it's not longer "participating" 

The room Open Below isn't entirely removed such the room below it (Dining Room) "owns" the airspace all the way up to the ridge board.

Instead the values in the Open Below Structure have to still be consistent.

What I did was....

-- change the "Open Below" back to a bedroom

-- fix its Structure to look like the green bedroom next to it... in other words make it look as it was before I changed it to Open Below. That made the ceiling come back.

-- then I change the room to Open Below once again and the ceiling still stayed.