1st & 2nd Floor Shed Roof

Seanwalters

Hello - 

I have been having some trouble, figuring out the proper framing and making sure everything is enclosed. Basically, I want to have part of 1st floor to have a shed roof and then part of 2nd floor to have a shed roof - where the 1st floor shed roof dives into 2nd floor wall and creating a opeing/loft aspect looking down into 1st floor from 2nd floor - attached are the current plans. Any thoughts? Been trying to figure it out for a good month now lol.

1785832957_LakeHouseFinal1.0-Clean.plan

Maybe this will help. I am building a monitor-style barndominium and had a similar issue. My monitor has an 80' by 30' center section with an 8:12 roof peak at 30'. The side (hip) walls top out at 18'. Abutting each of the main side walls are 80' by 15' "sheds" that run the full length of the building on both sides. The outer shed walls tops out at 10' with a 4:12 pitch shed roof that hits the main wall at 14'. This leaves a 4' vertical span between the 4:12 roof of the shed and the 8:12 roof of the main section where a series of transom windows have been installed. The way I worked this out was first to designate gable walls at each end of the main section which then auto-designed a full gable roof. I then designated the shed outer walls as hip-type with a 4:12 pitch. Finally I designated the side wall where the shed attaches to the main section as a High Shed/Gable Wall and set the Overhang Length to "0". The software forces this dimension to 1/4" since it appears that zero doesn't meet some minimum standard. In this way I end up with an 8:12 full gable roof on the main section and a 4:12 slanted shed roof on the shed extensions.

Possibly you can incorporate some or all of this into your design.