Flaring stairs from a straight wall

LordBeowulf

Hi, I upgraded to Home Designer Pro primarily because it was supposed to provide better control over stairs, in addition to being able to group objects ($400 more is a lot to ask for something that even MS WORD does!).  Unfortunately, I'm finding that the control over the stairwell is less than perfect, to say the least.  I'm starting with a pretty simple two segment stairwell, and have it working ok if I just curve the bottom segment out into the foyer as below.

186324560_NormalStairs.thumb.JPG.b9f1f404315a28f98a522ca2dc76e87e.JPG

However, what I'd like to do is fill in that awkward wasted space along the wall by having the stairs flare out radially.  If I start with a straight segment along the wall, the wall side is well behaved, but it's impossible to flare the stairs properly.  It wants to make the flair symmetrical about the straight section and while the handles for the centerline will drag over to the edge and act like they're snapping there, as soon as they're released, they pop back to the middle.  There appears to be no way to force this thing to give me a half arc starting at the wall.

493267404_BadStairs1.thumb.JPG.4c3a6a4168d013579d91a3551c413d29.JPG

On the other hand, if I start with my curved section, and fight with it excessively, I can come close to what I'm wanting.  It's not possible to get the spline along the wall to be perfectly straight (attempts to turn it to a line turn the whole stairway back to a straight stair).  It also likes to try to poke the bottom starter tread through the wall and mess that up too.  The following is the best I've been able to do.  HD is at least realizing it's along the wall and removing the starter tread, but it's not doing the rail and stringer correctly.  It's also causing problems with the wall underneath and causing an end wall segment to poke through above the stairs.  

1880657145_AlmostStairs.thumb.JPG.ecb5de9087059f8928a0f649095da4b8.JPG131586118_AlmostStairs3D.thumb.JPG.f0eccbd5f6b4fdfbc0baf41d058c8a3e.JPG

In either case, you can also see that the curved segment is impacting treads all the way up the straight section.  That should not be happening.  It should just start curving the treads gradually as the stair flairs out.  The treads at the top should be normal straight treads that they started out to be. Note too that I've attempted to turn on Winders and all that does is removes a chunk of the railing just below the transition to the straight section.

So, any suggestions on how to get HD to do something that should be pretty basic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Beo