Pro vs Archi re: sharing files

LiteMari

About to start a 30-day trial. I will be a client of either an architect (probably using Revit; or some CAD software with DXF and/or DWG capability); OR a designer-builder using Home Designer Pro.  I want to do some significant work myself to a) convey my ideas, and B) be able to view and make minor changes on a file that a professional would create e.g. place furniture, change dimensions of a closet or room. In the latter case, my feedback to the professional would be a text message in contrast to returning files to them. I am trying to decide whether I can accomplish what I want with just HD Architecture, or whether I will need HD Pro?

If I purchase just HD Architecture:

1) If I am understanding things correctly, with a professional using HD Pro:
I could do my preliminary work; do a Backup All Files and convert to a zip file and pass that to the professional.
They'd then have all of my thinking; and could choose whether to use that as a starting place for their work, correct?
If I'm using 2015 Archi but they're on 2014 Pro would their be problems.

2) Opposite direction:
Am I correct that the professional on HD Pro could simply send me a zip file which I could then open in HD Archi and be able to do most things - the most important being various viewing options. I realize that Pro has other features that I would not be able to "deal with/tchange" nor would I want to e.g. more control over roof design and this is likely to be something that professional would have used for my house.

3) If during trial of HD Archi, I realize that I really do want not just the additional import features of Pro but other things ... What'd be the steps in purchasing HD Pro and seamlessly be able to use the HD Archi work I had done during my trial?

If 1) & 2) above are correct understanding, then it'd seem that HD Archi is sufficient for me if I work with someone using HD  (or Chief Architect) software.

==============

With architect using Revit or similar, what is the likelihood of my being able to accomplish some similar exchange with them if I only get HD Archi?

It'd seem that I could at least export a 2-D line drawing in DXF format for my communication to them, and follow up with PDF files of 3D static views, correct?
But what about receiving something from them and viewing it in HD archi?

Thanks for providing clarity.

Note that  the HD Forums are User based, so most if not all feedback is from End Users.....like me... for definitive answers use their 1-800 Sales no# 

About to start a 30-day trial. I will be a client of either an architect (probably using Revit; or some CAD software with DXF and/or DWG capability); OR a designer-builder using Home Designer Pro.  I want to do some significant work myself to a) convey my ideas, and B) be able to view and make minor changes on a file that a professional would create e.g. place furniture, change dimensions of a closet or room. In the latter case, my feedback to the professional would be a text message in contrast to returning files to them. I am trying to decide whether I can accomplish what I want with just HD Architecture, or whether I will need HD Pro?

Do you mean the free trial version or you are buying and using the 30 day option to return?  you can't save anything in the free trial version is why I ask if you plan to start your preliminary work.

None of the HD Titles do DWG in or out , they can do 2D DXF , Arch can export only while Pro can import too 

If I purchase just HD Architecture:

1) If I am understanding things correctly, with a professional using HD Pro:

I could do my preliminary work; do a Backup All Files and convert to a zip file and pass that to the professional.

They'd then have all of my thinking; and could choose whether to use that as a starting place for their work, correct?

If I'm using 2015 Archi but they're on 2014 Pro would their be problems.

Yes the only issue would be if they are using Pro 14 I believe as older versions can not open newer version files  ( they would need to upgrade too($200?) 2015.

2) Opposite direction:

Am I correct that the professional on HD Pro could simply send me a zip file which I could then open in HD Archi and be able to do most things - the most important being various viewing options. I realize that Pro has other features that I would not be able to "deal with/tchange" nor would I want to e.g. more control over roof design and this is likely to be something that professional would have used for my house.

I don't believe so but phone Sales on Monday to check , I think you are (very) limited to things like moving furniture only and making text notes, see the bottom of the attached Product Matrix. 

3) If during trial of HD Archi, I realize that I really do want not just the additional import features of Pro but other things ... What'd be the steps in purchasing HD Pro and seamlessly be able to use the HD Archi work I had done during my trial?

You just use the Upgrade option at the online store and put in you HD Arch. serial when asked to get the instant rebate, there is no issue opening plans done in HD Arch. in Pro , in this case they are from the same yr so no issue.

If 1) & 2) above are correct understanding, then it'd seem that HD Archi is sufficient for me if I work with someone using HD  (or Chief Architect) software.

If they have Chief , HD ARCH has limited editing capability , same issue it would have with Pro. If they have X6 then 2015 files will be compatible in Pro , if the have an older version same issue as above.  AFAIK.

==============

With architect using Revit or similar, what is the likelihood of my being able to accomplish some similar exchange with them if I only get HD Archi?

It'd seem that I could at least export a 2-D line drawing in DXF format for my communication to them, and follow up with PDF files of 3D static views, correct?

Sounds right to me.....

But what about receiving something from them and viewing it in HD archi?

Would depend on what Revit can export and if it is compatible with one of Arch. import options

Thanks for providing clarity.

Choosing the Designer maybe step one , and finding one willing to work this way, and knowing what they have before you purchase maybe a good idea ...... 

there is a free Ipad App too now called Room Planner which may help if for eg the Designer has Revit they could perhaps still view your model.

@Kbird1 Thank you very helpful response, and particularly for warning that with the free trial which is what I did, that you are unable to save your work.  So far as I have been saved from that frustration as while I was able to install Windows 64 bit version, the software won't even open and yet my older laptop seems to exceed the minimum system requirements. Oh well, I will be patient until Monday.

you can just leave it running minimised to play around but I don't know of anyway to move those files to the Full version when you upgrade as you can't save them, print them or even export a view. Only option there is to purchase full and if you really don't like/need return after 28 days..... if you Buy Arch you can upgrade to Pro at anytime , there is no 30 day requirement for that. in fact you could buy Suite to play /start out and then go to Arch. or Pro if really needed.

I don't think the Trial has an expiry BTW , if you buy you have a 30 day 100% return guarantee though......

I assume your laptop is running 64 bit Win7 or Win 8? if not you need the 32bit version.

@Kbird1 Again thanks. Yes I'm running Win 7 64 bit so not sure why software isn't even opening after installation. Will call tech support on Monday. I'm fine with buying the prog and then getting refund if needed, but didn't want to uninstall existing trial, and then install purchased download without getting input from tech support.

I often buy software based on how responsive and knowledgeable forum participants seem to be as a good forum is invaluable. @Kbird! - if you represent the attitude of this forum then I'm sure I'll be delighted with the prog and forum once I get myself launched - again thanks.

So you get nothing when you try to open the Trial ?  you did get the Serial No# from the Trial request email right ?

What videocard does the laptop have? is it supported ? HD used to have issues with older intergrated Intel cards ..latest drivers loaded? 

http://cloud.homedesignersoftware.com/1/pdf/documentation/home-designer-2015-download-and-installation-instructions.pdf

If you are trialing Pro2015 and decide to buy I believe you just activate the existing install , no need to download everything again.  Also you can leave the trial installed and Run HD Arch as well if you buy that instead ( or Suite) so you can do direct comparisons , you can even open plans from ARCH in Pro trial and see if what you want/need to do is doable in Pro , you just can't save it ...  I can open my old Plans (Pro 10) in 2015 Trial so the same should work fine for you.

With HD and Chief , the Forums are invaluable and very good , I learn plenty here , so try to help back if I can....

Mick.