Help with Interior design

gpeters

I have watched a number of the videos as I design my kitchen and there are a few things I can't find how to do.

Not sure what it is called but I have duct work on the ceiling and I want to add the wall/ceiling extension to my plan and I can't figure out how to do it. Here is a picture of what it looks like

post-2657-0-67982200-1429463180_thumb.jpg

Next my kitchen has a short wall at a 45 degree angle that connect two other short walls. When I add the the angled wall it keeps on changing the dimensions of the two other short walls as the angled wall snaps into place. How can I prevent the program from snapping the wall into place and not change the dimensions for the other walls?

post-2657-0-25411100-1429463181_thumb.jpg

I have attached my plan so far. Can someone help me with this?

Kitchen.plan

Hi, I can help with the first issue.  The software has a object you can place called a Soffit.  It's located in the menu with the Cabinets.  You can add/modify them in the 2D floor plan view or in the 3D views.  (I end up using both.)  When you place one it usually snaps to the corner along the ceiling at the top of a wall, just like in your photo.  You then adjust its length, height, and depth as needed.  You can place multiple ones of these in a space, and they can overlap/intersect each other if needed.  They seem to be the default "problem-solving" building block in the software, but their placement in the Cabinet menu can be non-intuitive for new users.  Should you need something similar but with some angled sides, there are additional pieces in the Library called Wedges, in different orientations.  Soffits plus Wedges give you a lot of flexibilty to make custom geometries, and you can assign any materials to them that you like.

As for the angled walls, I'm not sure what is happening there.  For myself when I create angled walls it doesn't seem to affect others unless the wall pieces are very small.  I find it helps to make the wall pieces much larger than needed at first and then slide them into place.  Also holding the Ctrl key while drawing/moving walls (and other objects) allows more accurate placement.  Then you can use the Make Parallel / Perpendicular option to ensure things are aligned as you need them.

Hope that helps  :)

Kyle is right with his advice on soffits and adding your title to your sig. ,as different versions have different features and you may have more options than soffits if you need them? 

you could try turning snaps/angle snaps off perhaps while doing the 45° walls but I haven't tried it ,should have more time later if needed.

M.

In the Architectural 2015 version the snap settings are under Edit -> Snap Settings.  Hopefully it's similar in your Interiors 2016.

Hopefully you can just turn it off, do your angled walls, and then turn it back on.  Working without snap can be a real pain, and may cause more misalignment headaches than it fixes.  :P

Thank you for the video David! The measurement you are looking for is 22 5/8" 

That worked. It is not a 100% but I'm sure that is due to what you said in the video. My house does have areas where I can't help but think that the measuring tape must stretched or shrunk while the house was being built :)  

Now back to the soffits. I found how to add them. But in two corners I also have upright soffits where the duct work goes upstairs.

How do I add them? Or is that something I do with the walls? Perhaps they are not called soffits.  

Here is an image of what it looks like where the upright and ceiling soffits come together. 

post-2657-0-23885400-1429476856_thumb.jpg

I'm new to design so pardon my questions if they are obvious. 

Angle Snaps will actually let you automatically draw the wall at 45° as you initially draw it , and is actually pretty easy to draw the wall ,open the wall's DBX and set the correct length as you go , it is the adjusting dimensions after that proves the issue usually as all other walls move to accommodate any changes. Your Preference setting for grid snaps (defaults>Plan>snap grid) may alter what happens here , I usually have it set to 1".

But part of the problem you are seeing is that HD/Chief  I think measures Walls along their centreline whereas you are measuring along the wall surface on one side of the wall , see my pic below which should highlight it for you , although the wall is 22"5/8 long in the DBX the dim's on either side of the wall show it differently. If the wall was 22 5/8" on the short side/inside ,the wall at centreline is actually 25 15/16 long (second pic)

Angle and grid snaps can be turn toggled on/off with the icons on the Toolbar ( you may need to add them?) or with the shortcut keys of F10 and SHF+F11 respectively.

excuse the writing , I don't print well with a mouse :)    and Snipit doesn't do text.

post-25-0-25474300-1429491330_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-23414900-1429492319_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-48198800-1429491316_thumb.jpg