Multiple roof styles

SeattleEric

HD Architectural newbie here. I'm modeling an old church that has a full gable for the main structure and a steeple with a flat roof. Using the Knowledge Base article on building a 1.5-story roof I got the gable in about the right spot, and I got a flat steeple roof by setting the pitch on it's walls to 1/4" , but I have two problems (see attached screen shots, and a photo of the real thing):

1. The gabled roof wants to join up with the steeple roof

2. I want eaves on the gable but not on the steeple

Been playing around for hours on this detail - can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks...

Eric

post-2603-0-79540400-1428970266_thumb.jpg

post-2603-0-37638100-1428970337_thumb.jpg

post-2603-0-00402600-1428970407_thumb.jpg

It is a little hard to visualize your Church from just one photo (I do not see a steeple in the photo at all, am I missing it?). Architectural runs ONLY on settings, so it will be difficult to have eaves on one part of the roof and not have them elsewhere. You can easily do that with Pro or Chief Architect Premier but not Architectural, Suite or interiors.

If I had a clearer idea of exactly what your church and steeple looked like, I might be then able to come up with some actual useful advice.

DJP

Its not a steeple in t he traditional sense David it is the flat topped portion on the right of the photo behind the tree (with chimney next to it)

I would suggest looking at these two Tutorials in the KB on Flat and Parapet Roofs , the Parapet roof maybe what you actually have up there is my guess. If you are new to HD ,Bookmark the KB (knowledgebase) there are many good tuts there worth reading.

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00877/52/Home-Designer/Roofs/Creating-a-Flat-Roof-on-a-Structure.html

+

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00120/

Thanks David and Mick. You're right that it's not a traditional steeple - it's the tower-looking thing on the right in the photo. I had checked out the KB articles you mentioned as well, which got me the flat roof above the steeple, but then I got stuck on the remaining items.

David's comment about HD Architectural running only on settings was sort of an aha moment for me - the product comparison matrix with Pro now makes a lot more sense. We're doing some remodeling and I wanted a quick way to visualize dormers and such, and I don't know if I can spend an additional $300 for Pro at this point.

Eric

post the plan so others can look, I'm not saying it can't be done, more pics or sketches of the real thing might help too but Forumite Jo_Ann has a way with "HD Workarounds" as She uses HDA too and you may get lucky..... then again $300 is 3 hrs with most Architect's , so maybe worth it @ less than 1% of your budget? 

M.

Start a new sample plan to play with this.  Use all the settings shown in the pic.

When you opt to build the 3rd floor, choose 'blank plan' and turn on the floor reference display (so that you can align with the walls below).

If you get the roof to build correctly in the sample plan, then start adjusting the ceiling heights in the sample plan to match what you have in the real plan.  Keep adjusting until you get it right.  The 3rd floor is the key.

I put a soffit (with roofing material applied) on top of the steeple to simulate the roof.

post-63-0-57933700-1429135166_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-53205100-1429135198_thumb.jpg

Wow, thanks Jo-Ann. That's fantastic. I'll give it a shot as soon as I kick this fever I've been running the last couple of days.

RE HD Arch vs HD Pro, is this kind of thing a lot easier/more intuitive with Pro? It's impressive what you were able to do, but you obviously have a ton of experience with the tool.

Eric

• 1 month later...

When I run into a software conflict, I turned to my "TurboCad" software to bail me out.  Prior to working in CA Home Designer, I had never delved into 3D work.  Now I just make my own eaves and glue them on where ever needed.  Same goes for a flat roof.  Just paste a flat box on top and change the material to shingles.  I was rebuilding my old high school building (44,000 sq ft).  Needless to say, the software bogged down quite a bit by the end of my project but it did get finished.  The walkthroughs were super and the final dvd was the tops to my virgin attempt.  Thanks CA.