Resolution of Exported JPEGs

English

Go to solution Solved by English,

I do not have a printer that is capable of printing 18 x 24 sheets so I intend to export my plots as JPEGs so I can take them to Kinkos and have them printed,  However I note that when exporting, the default resolution is 74 pixels.  I'm not sure what kind of print that will create.  Can anyone tell me if that resolution is okay and that it prints fine detail or can I change this to some other resolution -- if so what is recommend?
Thanks

Alan

Please do not bother exporting to images, when blown up they will all pixelate badly. What I recommend to you is to download "CutePDF" (it is free but during the installation be careful not to also install the inevitable bloat-ware that comes with free software).

A PDF document is "vector based" and as such will not pixelate but will remain sharp at any size. With a PDF printer you can then print to a 24" x 18" sized document and take that to Kinko's and then get professional grade results. I have been using Cute PDF for about 10 years 

I just checked and Pro 2016 has a "Save as PDF" option so you do not even have to download and install anything else (brand new feature!!!). Save as PDF and be happy.

DJP

• Solution

Please do not bother exporting to images, when blown up they will all pixelate badly. What I recommend to you is to download "CutePDF" (it is free but during the installation be careful not to also install the inevitable bloat-ware that comes with free software).

A PDF document is "vector based" and as such will not pixelate but will remain sharp at any size. With a PDF printer you can then print to a 24" x 18" sized document and take that to Kinko's and then get professional grade results. I have been using Cute PDF for about 10 years 

I just checked and Pro 2016 has a "Save as PDF" option so you do not even have to download and install anything else (brand new feature!!!). Save as PDF and be happy.

DJP

Dave

Thanks for that.  I did see the PDF so will most certainly use that format.  Not sure why the other export option is there if it doesn't do a good job.

Alan

the other option is mostly for sending images via email or posting to the web but I thought with 2016 Pro, you now had the HD Output for Jpgs too (like Chief does) ?  check the manual perhaps....

Not sure why you would Print jpgs of your plans though as they would not be to Scale , so printing to scale via PDF will give you accurate drawings , the other advantage is that you can print to 1/8 scale to the 12x18 PDF and then have Kinkos or similar Print it at 200% to get 1/4" Scale drawings on 24x36 (Full size) if  needed ( use any 1/2 scale and print at 200% for full scale). This works well ,I use it for doing 22x34 pages as my normal size is tabloid or 11x17 since my photo printer can handle those if needed.

M.

I just tried to save as a PDF and it would not let me -- said I had to save as a .layout file.

Any ideas as David said there was a save as PDF option but I don't see it in the save drop down list?
Thanks

Alan

Never mind.  It's a print function and when you hit the print button I can select PDF and then it saves to a pdf format.  The save as took me down the wrong path.

Thanks

Alan

usually you send to layout , then Print the layout once it is finalised.

M.

Yes I see that now but what confused me was that David said it was a Save As function to save as a PDF.   It only saves as a PDF once you enter the print function.

Alan