Why on EARTH is the auto rebuild roof function roofing my foundations??

Keith_K

I am working on my ground floor.  I don't have the foundation level open.  The foundation walls align perfectly with the ground floor walls and yet, when I select Build>Roof>Auto Rebuild Roof it sticks the blerry roof on the foundations!

This is the first time I've ever tried the function.  Normally my roofs have been simple affairs and I have manually created the roof planes without any problems. 

What am I doing wrong?  :(

post-52-0-20247900-1428683701_thumb.jpg  Tiny Home.plan

The main wall defaults are supposed to be concrete running block on the interior and stone on the exterior for the main portion of the building and the same block on the interior and cladding on the exterior for the bit that just out in the front, Mick. Both have whipped cream as the interior surface colour. If you go to level 0 and deleted the roof planes the walls come back.

post-52-0-28759900-1428685999_thumb.jpg

Sorry should of explained further I guess..... the wall definition setup that you have on  level 1 means walls aren't aligned properly with the basement walls hence you get the roof over the basement, see here too:

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00206/52/Home-Designer/Roofs/Fixing-an-Issue-Where-a-Roof-is-Generating-Over-a-Foundation-Wall.html

sorry I can't fix it an post back as we don't have the same version, but the main layers need to align properly , either fix the wall definition so they do or select the exterior walls and "align to wall below" but that will alter the size of the building since the walls will move out cos the wall definition is   mis-aligned.

M.

EDIT: had a closer look ...the interior whipped cream 100mm block is set as your main layer ,and it should be the Texas cream 100 mm Block instead I think to get the main layers to align

there is definitely some weirdness going on here and in playing I decided to delete the Roof and rebuild it and noticed you have "ignore Top(1st) floor for roof" checked , which would explain ,at least partially why the roof is in the basement ( not one of the usual reasons), but so far on rebuilding the roof with that unchecked the roof isn't building , at least the Display options dialog says no roof planes .baselines etc are being used , although there is an attic level ( with nothing on it.) will look more when I have time but am still thinking it is something to do with these funky Sip walls you are using there.

I have to give it to you Keith , you sure can tie this software in knots  :) 

Perhaps that is the purpose of my being, Mike. :ph34r:

I did what you suggested earlier and made sure that the walls were perfectly aligned but it made no difference.

So I spent a couple of hours last night doing some jiggery-pokery with invisible walls and ceiling heights and managed to manually put a roof on the building.  Not 100% perfect but sufficient for my needs.

post-52-0-98207500-1428738832_thumb.jpg  post-52-0-82143400-1428738857_thumb.jpg

Perhaps that is the purpose of my being, Mike. :ph34r:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Actually I'm thinking it is some how not handling those SIP Walls you devise, you had that weird situation with the windows too a week or two back , I'd say it's a good plan to send to Tech Support and see if they can give us some answers , as I am not sure why the roof wont build on the 1st floor now the "ignore 1st floor button" isn't checked, especially since there is an attic level. 

I opened the plan in chief too but it made no difference as far as the roof generating.

Um, Keith,

After removing the check mark on 'ignore 1st floor' in the build roof dialog, the 'ground' floor walls returned. I left the roof in 'auto rebuild' mode.

Then I opened each room on your 'ground' floor and put a check mark in the 'roof over this room' and 'ceiling over this room'  box.

The roof magically reappeared.   :ph34r: 

hehehe... good catch Jo_Ann   I did not think to check if Keith had turned off the Roof and ceilings in all rooms.... not sure why you would do that :)  especially with the ignore 1st floor set too. 

I guess those SIP walls are ok as far as a Roof Build then ,even though they aren't aligned with the foundation correctly....

the short wall next to the front door should be set to full gable too is my guess ( the one with the desk against it.

M.

Um...Jo_Ann & Mick...

I unchecked "roof over this room" because I was told to by Mr Solver here: https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/944-upper-floor-slab-wont-go-away/

That I then forget to turn them back on again is merely a sign of my advanced years and the unkindness of this affliction.  :mellow:

Even though I have submitted my drawing already I will go and see whether I can create a "proper" roof and, if successful, will submit the new one as, being a weekend, nowt has been done with the first yet.

Ok...you missed the 2nd part of Eric instructions which explains it ,  makes me think though there should be a warning message  when you order a Roof rebuilt that tells you that the Roof and ceiling are turned off in some or all rooms as it maybe.

you have two different Roof designs looking at the pics too ,with either a gable or hip by the front door    ,not sure which is correct.

M.

• 3 weeks later...

Despite Mick's reservations about the final roof (I couldn't see what he saw) I took the plunge and submitted the plan to the CA "Tiny House" competition.

I feel that I need to post to thank y'all for your assistance with this because I probably would never have got to that stage without your input.

Needless to say I feel just a little bit chuffed in that my design came joint 10th in a field of 21 entries to the competition, most of which were by highly qualified professionals.  Not rank CAD amateurs like me.

Thanks again. :)

I have a similar issue but on mine it builds a roof over a porch slab which is on top of foundation walls all of which are on level 0.

Alan

"Use the Force Luke "  :)     ok the Knowledgebase really .....

check your wall alignment , that is the usually issue or start your own thread with your plan attached

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00206/