Show structural column on both floors

ethanjsmith82

Existing 1 story home with 6 foot high basement.  Looking to add an entire 2nd floor.  Questionable framing/support for existing floor, so I was thinking of doing a steel beam above floor 1 ceiling, to support floor 2 and attic above it.  It would run down the length of the house in the middle (home is 30 feet wide by 56 feet deep) and be supported with 4 steel columns evenly spaced.  I've already done the load calculations.

The issue though is that I drew the columns while on floor 1 (hid them inside wall bumpouts).  I figured out how to extend them downwards below the floor so that when in framing view I can see them extend down into the basement, but when I'm in plan view on the foundation level it doesn't even show that they are there.  Even with reference lines turned on they don't show up.

So, similar to chimneys, is there a way to have posts/columns extend through a floor above/below?

The way I do it is to place a closed poly-line (same shape as the columns) and place it in the same space as the column, then hit the "copy" command while just the poly-line is selected. Toggle down to the floor below or above and then hit "Paste, Hold Position" (found under the "Edit - Paste" menu). The copy-pasted poly-line then represents the column in plan view on as many floors as I require.

DJP

Even with reference lines turned on they don't show up.

Tools> Reference Floors> Reference Display Options.

Check "Disp" for the layer your post resides on (if you used Framing, it'd be one of the framing layers, if a column from the Library Browser it's probably Millwork, if a Shape from the Library it'd be the Geometric Shapes layer, etc) and click OK.  Then it should show up when the Reference Display is toggled on.

• Upvote 2