Dormer over first floor walls

English

Go to solution Solved by English,

You don't HAVE to build a default roof first.

The software, at least Pro 2015, comes set to automatically build a roof once you have connected walls to form a room.

I turned that annoying to me behavior off long ago.

I generally draw my exterior walls, make adjustments (set to gable etc) as needed, then build the roof.

You may change from hip to gable any time, but you must manually rebuild the roof if Auto Rebuild Roof is off to see the changes.

I didn't build a default roof above either , I did it the same way Eric mentions above , drew the walls including bumpout set the 3 gable walls and built the roof , took less than 5mins for that little plan above which is why I wondered if you have something else going on and suggested posting the Plan file so Eric or I could look for you.

not sure you really need it but here is the plan for the above pics.

Bumpout 1.plan

Alan, just so you know, when manually adjusting a roof plan to meet another roof plane you have two choices. The first is to break the roof plan being joined (one break to each side of joining roof and one in the middle to grab and manipulate) or, if you are doing an over frame, you can create a temporary roof plane to join to and break it as I describe above. Once you learn this stuff it takes all of a minute to do this.

Okay I'll try that.  Do you use the break wall tool or is there another method?

Alan

You have ALL 3 sides of the bumpout set as Full Gable , only the front wall needs that setting, two sides should be default type (hip ie nothing checked on roof tab), see my plan posted above.

not sure the middle roof is right ? but doing a Roof rebuild and retaining your manually built roof planes tells me most of the other wall settings are incorrect too.

I think you need to look at the Tutorial on doing a Saltbox type Roof which is the main roof type , get that correct then deal with the other roofs like the bumpout as at the moment your manual roof planes are controlling/causing issues such as at the front of the bumpout as the manual roof plane is cutting the auto gable wall off and the Porch roof is 8-10" higher than the main roof.

post-25-0-07931300-1428985052_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-50569500-1428985062_thumb.jpg

Saltbox tut.

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00735/52/Home-Designer/Roofs/Creating-a-Saltbox-Roof.html

• Solution

I wish I had more experience with this program before I started on that house as that salt box roof is exactly what I needed.  However I have sunk too much time into this project to start over and as there will be only floor plans I can live with what I have.

Thanks for everyones help.

Alan