Dormer over first floor walls

English

Go to solution Solved by English,

I have a small (7' long x 1'-2" deep) bump out from the front wall of my single story house.  The roof plane ends at the eaves of the front wall and I want to make a dormer over that bump out but am not sure how to do it.  I tried to use the create dormer from walls (not the floating dormer).  As the roof plane does not extend over the bump out I get an error message that says that it needs a roof plane to create it.  I can't extend the roof plane over the bump out as it would not be correct for the front wall of the house.  What I need to do is somehow extend just that portion of the roof plane where the bump out is located but I don't see how to do that.

Alan

It sounds like you need to learn how to create a dormer manually. The dormer tool is limited to creating a dormer within the boundaries of a single roof plane and often times the geometry of the dormer exceeds that size, These Knowledge Base help articles will help and explain what you must learn to do: https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/search/?q=manual+dormer&submit.x=7&submit.y=4&default_tab=support&site=chief_architect&client=chief_architect&restrict=ChiefArchitect&proxystylesheet=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chiefarchitect.com%2Fsearch%2Fchiefsearch_stylesheet.xslt&output=xml_no_dtd 

DJP

David

I just read through Building a Gable Dormer in HD Pro as I though it was more suitable for my purpose as i wanted the gable dormer to be on an exterior wall as opposed to just in the roof plane.  However this creates a full height gable dormer on the second floor wall.  What I need is to create a gable dormer over the first floor wall.  Can I use the same procedure or is there a different way?
Thanks

Alan

Eric

That dormer is on the second floor.  I just want to replace the hip roof shown in my post with a simple dormer or gable roof if you like over the bump out -- not extending it up another storey.  I really can't make it any clearer than that.

Alan

The Roof on your bumpout is caused by the fact you still have the Wall's roof tab set at default ,which is for a Hip Roof , set the Front wall  of the Bumpout to FULL GABLE and you will get what you want.

M.

Okay let me try that.

Thanks

Alan

Changing that bump out wall to full gable didn't help.  Please look at the attached.  I created two roof planes to show what I need.  It was a pain to do that manually as I had to manipulate the planes to touch the main roof.  Looks okay in plan but the view shown has the main roof inside the dormer so that the front wall of the dormer will not extend to the roof planes -- a result of trying to do it manually which is why I need help on how to let the program create it.

Thanks

Alan

post-2501-0-55956000-1428772522_thumb.png

I tried making the front wall a full gable but it doesn't change anything.  Frustrated!  I have the main roof over my building in three sections (roof slabs) the outside two are the same but the center one extends over the porch (you can see that in the drawing I posted above).  If I try to let the program create the dormer roof over the bump out automatically I cannot check the box that says Retain all manually created roofs -- it's greyed out.   I don't want to lose my roofs -- just let the program create a roof over the bump out.

Thanks

Alam

The image shows an auto generated roof.

Is it similar to your model?

I encourage people to learn the auto roof tools, or learn the manual tools, or better yet, learn both.

The simple answer to your question is you need to rebuild the roof using the auto roof build tool, or rebuild it manually.

Changing a wall to full gable does nothing until the roof is rebuilt.

post-171-0-95532200-1428854544_thumb.jpg

Eric

How do you tell the system to build gable roofs instead of the default hips?  I don't see anything under Defaults and there is no option in the Build Roofs window.  I did let the system build roof planes and I checked the Leave Existing Roof Planes intact and it did build a roof over my bump out (as well as a bunch of other places where I had existing roofs) but it was a hip roof.

Thanks

Alan

Try this.

Start a new model -- just 4 walls to make a room.

If Auto Rebuild Roof is checked, you will get a hip roof automatically.

Select any wall, open its dialog and check Full Gable under the Roof tab. Close the dialog.

If Auto Rebuild Roof is on, you will see a gable roof above the wall, if not, rebuild the roof and it will change.

Here is a good video to get you started on roofs.

Eric

How do you tell the system to build gable roofs instead of the default hips?  I don't see anything under Defaults and there is no option in the Build Roofs window.  I did let the system build roof planes and I checked the Leave Existing Roof Planes intact and it did build a roof over my bump out (as well as a bunch of other places where I had existing roofs) but it was a hip roof.

Thanks

Alan

Eric  is right above , though you already changed the Wall's Roof settings for the bumpout to Gable per my earlier post , so not sure why that information wasn't used for the other walls?

yes learn Auto Roofs to do it quickly and easily but know the manual tools for when things get complicated or you can't do a "rebuild" command.

this tutorial on the basic roof designs should help

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00359/52/Home-Designer/Roofs/Automatically-Building-the-Basic-Roof-Styles.html

***Note in the video Eric linked too, the dialogs will look different as it was done in Pro 2012 , Pro 2015/2016 no longer use TABS but menu items on the left to access the same functions