Roof is making me crazy!

homefire

Go to solution Solved by DavidJPotter,

I have run into this before, and I'm sick of fussing with it.  I'm hoping someone can tell me why this happens.

My current plan is a very basic L-shaped ranch. Looked fine, except that I realized the porch was not centered.  I had put a small gable roof on the porch, so when I moved the porch, that needed to move as well.  So I hit Delete Roof, then Build Roof, and **everything** changed!  It totally messed up the entire house roof, and I had done nothing other than move some porch walls.  I'll attach some pictures, and hopefully you can see how disastrous it was.

post-204-0-61280700-1401932103_thumb.jpg

post-204-0-43509800-1401932105_thumb.jpg

post-204-0-81668000-1401932104_thumb.jpg

post-204-0-68439600-1401932105_thumb.jpg

I've checked them all a dozen times.  I've deleted and reroofed over and over.  It's so weird.  Not only did it take the roof OFF part of it, but there is a weird little gable added in the middle of the front wall.  One time (in the myriad of times I fiddled with it) it did put a roof over everything, but there was a high shed roof over the center part, so that the walls didn't reach the roof.  All very bizarre!

I am sure from reading your posts that you will not receive this very well but the software ONLY follows settings, so if the results are wrong, the settings are wrong for what you want. There is no other cause possible.

I can tell at a glance that some of the settings in your walls have wrong or argumentative settings as to "Pitch over this wall" in their roof tabs, Default Settings and Ceiling height, per room dialog is also important.

I have learned to never assume things are right, rather I methodically check them, align and correct them. The only advantage I have over you is that I have failed more or at least enough that I know that if my results are unwanted, I missed something. An important is fully understanding what each setting does and that takes study, practice and time to learn.

Roofs make everyone crazy until you truly learn how to make them they way you want them.

What software title and version are you using please? Home Designer makes five or six different titles per version and they vary in ability and procedure. How to achieve different roof types is explained on the "Roof Styles" tab of the "Build Roof" Dialog as to basic data. Find the wrongful settings in your wall dialogs, Default Settings, Build Roof Dialog and then all will be well

DJP

• Upvote 1

I completely agree with that--obviously there's something wrong.  What I cannot fathom is how it possibly could have gotten changed.  I certainly didn't change any settings between one and the other. I moved a wall out...period.  This should not change the makeup of all the other walls, but somehow it must have.  Even more curious, I have been back through the roof specs for each wall in my plan and I really believe that all of them are marked correctly.  I checked to make sure that those rooms still were designated to have ceilings.  I'm not sure what else to check. When this has happened before, I have actually ended up starting over at times, but I was really hoping someone might be able to come up with a guess as to WHAT is wrong by looking at what happened.  Thanks so much, but telling me that"something is wrong" isn't extremely helpful.   :huh: Do you have any idea exactly WHAT settings might be wrong?

I'm using Home Designer Suite 2012.

UPDATE!!  I just deleted the entire front wall and re-drew it with all the same settings, and when I rebuilt the roof, it was fine. Obviously a weird glitch caused by my wall-moving.

However I now have another little issue.  Look at this elevation and notice the extra little skinny piece of roof extending up from the porch.  Any idea what might cause that?  So annoying to have these bits and pieces when I have no clue where they came from!  

Also, how do I get rid of the two columns in the middle of the porch?  I thought I set it up to span the entire width, but it still draws them in.  

In trying to analyze this problem (in case someone else runs into it) I think it must have been an issue with invisible walls.  I had first had an alcove at the front door with an invisible wall in front of it in order to keep the roofline straight.  Then I decided to straighten out the front and push the porch outside of the house's footprint.  I just pulled the alcove wall out even with the rest of the house front and the invisible wall disappeared. Even though I could no longer see any evidence of it--couldn't click on it or anything--maybe somehow it was still there, imbedded in the exterior wall?  Is that possible?  Sounds crazy when I write it out, but for some reason, completely getting rid of that wall took care of the problem.  I didn't change any of the other walls.  So weird.

"I didn't realize there was that kind of support available."

I do this sort of thing gratis from time to time, because I consider it fun to help others and it is great advertising for my skills.

I am self-employed and help as I can in order to attract others who need more involved help in exchange for money, so I am not just being altruistic; the bottom line is, I consider this kind of work "FUN" so it is not "Work" at all for me. You do as you like.

DJP

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

homefire, on 05 Jun 2014 - 06:21 AM, said:

Oh, thank you SO much for that offer! I didn't realize there was that kind of support available. :) Not sure it's worth it now, since this is a really minor issue.

David doesn't work for HD/Chief, he is a User like you and me and is just being a nice Guy :) , take him up on his offer ..... sorry I don't have 2012 so cant help like that. Make sure the plan is closed before you save it and then zip the plan up so you can post it/send it to David , his Email is in his signature, which by the way you should add one to your Profile too.

M.

Well maybe not you but people try to zip the file while it is still open in HD , and then wonder why it wont zip.... also usually if sending a plan to someone you do a full backup and send it ,incase the other person does not have the same library as you with the same textures etc eg you have used 3d objects off Sketchup or made custom materials, that way the plan opens without any errors..... if the file is too large you can just email a standard saved .plan file it should open okay ... or well enough to fix issues like yours...

M.

• Solution

Here is the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViOfSEsyrW0&feature=youtu.be

I was able to straighten it up some in Suite 2012 but had to fall back on Premier X4 to really make it a product. I advise you to send the plan to Tech Support and perhaps they can give you a more succinct answer as to "Why" because you can no longer buy X4 (only X6) and that is an expensive solution for a problem of software that costs under $100.00. All's well that ends well, I and William always say.

DJP

PS: for some reason the link does not (will not) show (it is invisible when I post it) Tried again, see below

http://youtu.be/ViOfSEsyrW0

Thank you so much, David!  It looks great.  I was sort of cringing as I watched you try some of those things, feeling bad about you wasting your precious time on my mess, but I do very much appreciate it!  

And now I know that I'm NOT crazy, since you couldn't fix it either.  I guess that's what I get when I buy the lower-end product.  Wish I could justify buying the expensive ones.  I love doing this, but it's not like I have much of a market!  :) 

Your help is very much appreciated!

I'm still really curious (just because that's how I am) about how those glitches happen. Like the strange little roofline over in the corner which didn't even show in the overview and the rebuilds which left big holes in the roof.  So weird.  And it seems to happen fairly regularly that I change one little thing and something wild happens.  Especially in roofs.  

Oh, well.  Shrug!  As you say, it ended well.  :)

Although Home Designer software is inexpensive it is still quite sophisticatedly complex in action. Often times the thing to do is to persist provided you methodically check and recheck your settings (especially Default Settings). Often times I "fix" something simply because I refuse to fail, knowing that what I have done should work. I have an advantage over most users because I have both failed many times but succeeded more than that (twenty years of constant usage).

It is often your acceptance of failure that IS the cause of failure and ends any further possibility of success.

Such times are few but make the difference between a win and a loss as well as a winning track record.

This is what I have chosen as a living and career so perhaps that gives me more elan vital but I do know it makes a difference as to outcomes not to mention happiness.

DJP

How philosophical!  :)  And true.  Thankfully, I don't mind at all spending hours working on designs--I agree that it's quite fun--but I am also quite thankful to have helpful people around to catch me when I have exhausted all my possibilities.  It's not nearly so fun to re-draw the same thing a second time.