Railings

English

Go to solution Solved by English,

I'm trying to place a railing between two porch columns but it would locate where I want it to.  It puts it in the foundation wall below the porch.  On the railing window I don't see any way to change it's base height.

Any help will be appreciated.

Alan

Eric

Sorry if it was confusing.  I'm not trying to change the height of the railing -- just the location in elevation.  When I drop it into my drawing it automatically places it in the foundation wall that is below the porch slab.  I'm trying to place it between the porch columns.  I should add that I'm using the regular railing and not the deck railing.  Do you think that is the issue?
Thanks

Alan

A picture would really help.

Generally, you don't Drop, you Draw railings that are not from the Library, just like drawing a wall, which is what a railing really is. 

By default they will be drawn at the correct elevation. 

Eric

Sorry I meant to say draw not drop.  I start at one porch column and end at the next.  See where it places it in the screen shot.  Also what is the correct elevation?

Thanks

Alan

Plan and camera views

post-2501-0-69181800-1428255367_thumb.png

post-2501-0-40597100-1428255377_thumb.png

Walls (any type of wall) draws where you create it. You can only adjust a railing wall's height, not where it is drawn in the "z" axis. By using a fence or railing "symbol" you can vary where it appears in the "Z" axis but not walls. Walls and railing walls work up to a point and past that point you should consider using a railing symbol object for specialized instances.

DJP

if you draw it on the foundation level it will show on the foundation level

M.

it appears from your 2nd pic your drew the railing on the Basement/foundation level , hence that's where it shows in 3D , delete it on that level and redraw it on level 1 using the Reference layer to position it between columns if needed.

and yes I'd use a straight DECK railing  not the interior railing.

M.

• Solution

Okay thanks.  I managed to put them on the first floor level but they were about 6" too high off the porch slab, so I drew an elevation and adjusted their height.  Looks fine now.

Alan