Stair Question

English

Go to solution Solved by English,

Part of learning how to draw and communicate with software is to know what it natively does well and where its limitations are. I have been creating remodeling and new construction plans for over a couple of decades with success. You learn to work around what the software does not do well so that your printed results communicate. That is more important than one's preconceptions as  to what it should do or what it is weak at, you just work around it and move on. Chief Architect and Home Designer are quite able (not perfect in every way) but useful and supportive to one's creativity.

DJP

I usually just set the Transparency to 50% not 100% so it's  not so See through which I think looks better . I did read on CT that there will be a method in X8 (2017) Titles though ,that works like more traditional CAD Drawings.

Glenn Woodward did come up with a method in Chief but I'm not sure if it works in Pro or below or is worth the effort required but here it is

his plan

GlennWW_Dbl_stairs.plan

his post

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/2295-fantastic-new-solution-found-re-how-do-you-show-partial-open-railing-stairs-and-how-to-show-the-door-to-the-basement-stairs-underneath/#entry18608

another post on CT from this week...

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/4586-2d-stair-appearance/

not sure I understand 100% but ceilings don't show in Plan view so shouldn't effect anything as far as "seeing" the Stairs and walls.

remember that you are really working with 3D Objects , not lines like in other CAD Software ,and the stairs show just like they are in real life if you took the roof off . 

M.

I think what I need to do is to shorten the stairs before sending to the plot screen.  If I do that then it doesn't show on the second floor.  Maybe there is a way to turn that layer off and add a shortened stair to a different layer for plotting??
Alan

you could probably draw a stair with Cad Lines over the existing stair, and turn on/off the CAD layer and stairs layer as needed .....haven't tried it though , in the past I have either gone with the "pull back" method you mentioned when sending to layout or the 50% transparency route. 

M.