Is it possible to merge 2 plans together using HDA 2015?

WeebleSue

Hey geniuses. I have searched both the Forum and the Help but cannot find an answer to this.

Is there any way to merge 2 plans together? 

I built a complete plan using one terrain basis. It was based on one plot of land that we ended up not buying. I was able to delete the terrain from that plan.

But then I built a new plan with only the terrain of the plot we did end up buying. We are trying to figure out where on the new plot the house might be best placed. I need to play around with the house plan based on the terrain of the new plot. Ultimately, we might not even use that particular home plan. So I did not want to build the new terrain in the old house plan model in case it isn't going to work. 

I created the terrain by drawing the terrain lines by hand, one by one, based on a 5-ft topo drawing that I used as a background image to trace over. This was based on suggestions by this very forum, rather than try to import any data.

So I have a completed house in one plan, and a new terrain in another plan. I'd like to merge them together. It took hours to build the new terrain and rebuilding it from scratch in each home model I want to try out isn't an option. 

I have tried exporting Metafile and DXF data from the terrain plan and Importing into the house plan but that didn't work. I can find how to Export the house plan into DXF data but I can't find how to Import that into the terrain plan. 

What do you experienced geniuses suggest? 

Geniuses?  you might be in the wrong Forum  :)

Did you try just Copy/Pasting the Terrain onto (a copy, always work with copies when playing)  the House Plan ?  Copy/paste>Hold Position may or may not work for you depending on how you want the land/terrain setup , but pasting this way should allow you to use the edit handles etc after the paste to move it around and rotate it if needed. 

If HDA has the Edit>Edit>All Floors Option use that, other wise you'll need to do each "level" independently.....this is the other reason to take the Terrain to the house not the other way around.

M.

You can (I have done so many times, especially for multi-building commercial projects) and there is more than one method to do so. Since you are kinda new, I would recommend that you just draw the terrain manually again and save that plan as a baseline. Then save-as that to a new name and draw your house on that terrain.

copy-pasting an entire house model from one plan to another can be done (I have done it) but for a newer user it can be a little hair-raising with plenty of opportunities to fail or goof. This is something you learn using copies of copies of plans so if you goober one up, you can fall back on your saved copy.

AN IMPORTANT NOTE IS THAT WHEN PLACING A HOUSE FOOTPRINT ON A TERRAIN PLANE YOU NEVER ROTATE THE HOUSE, YOU ALWAYS ROTATE AND REORIENT THE TERRAIN PLANE AND ITS ELEVATION OBJECTS TO THE HOUSE FOOTPRINT!!!

There are "Edit Area" tools for copying plans or building instances but like I said this is something you do after you are fully backed up and using a copy to experiment (practice) with.

DJP

I will try the copy and paste method.

It took me quite a few hours to manually enter 6 acres of topology using 5-ft spacing lines. Drawing again from scratch is not an option. It took too long!

My house model is very detailed, and it took weeks of work to get it where it is. Thus I do not want to have to redo that again from scratch either.

I'll let you know how it goes. I tried a "test house" on a copy of my terrain model just to see some basic placement, and somehow the model got corrupted so I had to redraw the test house all over again. :(

Thanks!