best way to add additions to existing plan

waitinis71

I am using the latest version of HD pro and so far like it very much.  I primarily purchased it so I could create existing homes and then wanted to add additions to it to see how they will look.  I'm running into some issues though.  I created a two story gable roof house and when I try to put on an addition that is only one story high, the roof does not appear although I have these funky looking walls in the addition that seem to slope up to the eaves of the existing house.  I've tried the rail wall approach and also using exterior walls added onto the existing house but for some reason I can't get past this issue.  Perhaps someone could give me the best approach to adding an addition so that I can play around with it?  I don't mind playing with it but I'm stumped and could not find much in the knowledge base.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If you drew up the existing house fully , then added the addition , it could be as simple as the fact you didn't rebuild the Roof after drawing the addition , in Pro "Build Roof Auto", is not on by default.  You also have the option to manually drew Roof Planes in Pro. which is a bonus as Addition Roofs can be a bear ! (below)

On the other hand you may have run into 2 old time HD/Chief bugs ....sorry   

1. HD doesn't like adding a room the exact same width to the end of an existing structure  , eg a Shed roof addition on the end of a one/two storey Gable building , narrow the addition down a few inches each side and it will do it usually  but sometimes

2. there seems to be an issue depending on the roof where if the room heights are within 12" of each other , the Roof will screwup similar to no#1.

best to post pics or even your plan , so we can check it out , in my signature below is a link (2nd one)  to a post on how to do both.

M.

Thanks for the replies!!  I love to experiment but this one has me stumped.  I did as suggested and did the manual roof building and after a fashion, I've been able to get it to work better.  I'll play with it some more and see what I can do with it and post any further questions.  Thanks again!!