Break Wall Tool Do's and don'ts

RobynKS

When I am trying to put different wall finishes on each wall my break wall tool does not always work. I have re-read the reference manual on breakwall tool. Does anyone know why it works on one part of a wall and not on another? 

The wall break tool works as it is programmed to work in my experience. What can go off the rails is when you use the Materials Eye-Dropper or Painter tool, those tools have four distinct Modes (predefined application settings: component, Object, room, floor and plan modes). These are explained in the Reference Manual in detail and one should then practice using the different mode settings until fully familiar with the effects created. If you set wall material by way of the Room Specification Dialog, that setting overrides any individual wall dialog box-materials settings for walls in that room. One also has Materials Defaults found in other various places (Edit - Default Settings - Materials, Rooms, Room Types etc). Unless these are well understood chaos can then easily ensue when material settings become  into argument..

I have observed that wall breaks often disappear after being placed in or along a wall, if the wall is nudged or moved thereafter (even a little- the breaks snap back together and have to be broken again). I too use wall breaks all the time for the purpose of defining a tile surround of a tub or shower. If you loose a wall break, you break it again, it is all taken in stride while creating.

DJP

Thank you

post-620-0-89652900-1428098822_thumb.png

David I have read these articles several times but I am still at a loss as to why the break tool does not always work. I have also played with the painter tools. I have added a photo and some notes on the photo. I have watched the painting walls video again. I just want the wall in front of the stairs which is made up of a full wall and a half high wall to have the grass wallpaper.

Many Thanks Robyn

Ok I have worked it out. I must have been typing things in the search bar  it did not like.

Found this tutorial

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00071/

Note. When  I followed the instructions I still ended up with a white wall. 

What I found was it painted the wall on the under the stairs side when I flipped the wall over there was the wall paper.

Just thought this might help others to know about the mistakes I made. 

• Upvote 1

If you are just trying to change one FULL wall , it is easier to just go into that Wall's DBX and change the Wall material as needed , you can do it with Broken walls too.  

Once you break a wall ,alter it immediately ,or it will revert back after your next click , you can make two or 3 breaks if needed in a row but make the change next or HD will assume it is the same wall still and merge them back into one wall.

M.