Twin Gables

Mark_Cug

Hi all, hoping you can help me out. I'm trying to create twin gable peaks on the same exterior wall with home designer suite. The program only wants to build a single gable (with a single peak). Any thoughts or workarounds on this?

Thanks.

Hi all, hoping you can help me out. I'm trying to create twin gable peaks on the same exterior wall with home designer suite. The program only wants to build a single gable (with a single peak). Any thoughts or workarounds on this?

Thanks.

What version of the software are you using, and can you attach a photograph similar to what you are trying to create?

Thanks - I don't have anything exact, but this is a similar idea to what I'm trying to accomplish. Basically two gable peaks on the same exterior wall. Using Home Designer Suite 2014

Beyond the question of how to (in Suite) model the roof shown in the image (if that's even possible), the bigger question should be, "is this a good idea?"  To model it correctly would require a saddle (a "hip"-type roof plane in the valley between the two gables) which is unlikely to be modeled in Suite.  If you had Pro with its manual roof plane tools, you would be able to add the saddle and have a correct model.  The reason for the saddle is in answer to the "is this a good idea" question.  If you have a valley between two parallel gables without a saddle, then water will not shed between them and will eventually infiltrate into the structure along the base of the vee.  You need the saddle to shed water out to the facia, and then another way to discharge it away from the house.

Good luck. :)

You can see the saddle (cricket?) in the photo actually if you look hard in the shadows....as mentioned this is a very bad design...

however if you want it.... ,and depending on the real design it may not work well but two ideas.....

you can cheat with the Gable over Window tool since there are windows but you wont be able to change the Dormer in Suite since it has no Roof tools

or

you can just break the Wall into sections with the Wall Break Tool ,(Ctrl-b,) and make each section "Full Gable" with the icon on the edit toolbar or via the Wall's DBX on the roof Tab. 

like this:

post-25-0-91778000-1427946246_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-80067900-1427946275_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the input. Like I said, I'm not trying to actually accomplish this design, but something close to it. When I break a wall and change each section to full gable, all that happens is the software decides to blend each wall into a single gable instead of two separate peaks. I've spent a ton of time on this, so I've just opted to use a trial version of pro to at least visualize what I'm trying to accomplish (with Pro I can manipulate the roof planes myself).