Shaping a wall to follow stairs

RobynKS

Hi I am trying to draw an existing house and remodel this house. The stairs do not have a rail they are covered with a shaped wall.

I have tried a few things but cannot workout in HD Pro how to draw the wall the way it is in this old home.

I hope the picture I have supplied is clear enough to get some help.

Many Thanks Robynpost-620-0-87211900-1427671322_thumb.png

Remove the auto railings on the staircase and add an interior wall beside the staircase  ie a 2x4 wall with drywall basically which is what I think you want ? yes?

then in an elevation view of the staircase ,shape the 2x4 wall as needed using the Break line Tool

you can use a sloped soffit to make a wall cap if needed.

The solid railing wont follow a staircase for some reason, neither does a 1/2 wall (which is really a railing) so the above method works , I'm not sure if that has changed in 2015 or 2016 Versions though?

post-25-0-36606200-1427672994_thumb.jpg

Follow stairs will work on a solid railing.

Break the wall where you want the railing to stop, then set that part as a railing.

Once you click Solid, the "Follow Stairs" option is grayed out. Uncheck "Specify Railing", then check it, and you will be able to select "Follow Stairs".

I usually increase the railing to 42" so the handrail is not above it.

post-171-0-97414100-1427675611_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-27448400-1427675623_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Follow stairs will work on a solid railing.

Break the wall where you want the railing to stop, then set that part as a railing.

Once you click Solid, the "Follow Stairs" option is grayed out. Uncheck "Specify Railing", then check it, and you will be able to select "Follow Stairs".

I usually increase the railing to 42" so the handrail is not above it.

Somehow I knew you'd have a fix for this :)  , gonna have to have a play , seems I have been clicking check boxes in the wrong order or something is different in 2015... much nicer look though so great. 

M.

Thanks Eric , not sure what made you think unchecking Specify railing and then rechecking would make it allow you to check follow stairs but it works :)  even in my old Pro 10 , I have always done it the other way but this is obviously cleaner and nicer.

I noticed in 10 that if you have the wall railing and the solid railing both at 36" they are not at the same height when viewed in elevation, I think the wall measures itself off the floor while the railing is measuring itself off the stair nosing line as it should.

PS you don't need this trick in Chief , you can select both Solid and follow stair without the Railing check/uncheck. Chief has the same height issue though.

M.

post-620-0-42781300-1427768078_thumb.pngpost-620-0-42781300-1427768078_thumb.png

I have tried a few things you have gone to such amazing efforts to help me with.

I sincerely appreciate your time. But will leave it for a day or so my Youngest Brother died in London yesterday and the frustration of trying to work through this wall situation is too much to bear right now. My thanks to you all for trying to help.  Trying to get on with things does not always work...

Robyn x

post-620-0-16774000-1427768066_thumb.png

With a clearer head this morning I got it.  Many thanks Mick and Solver.. 

It was so easy today.

I placed a internal wall close to the stairs on floor 1, half the length of the stairs.

Next I placed a half wall the rest of the way.

and wella it worked. 

If you place the walls too far from the stairs like 2 to 5 mm away, then it does not work. The full wall and the half wall have to snap to the edge of the stairs. You do need to first select the stairs and turn the railing off on either the right side or left depending on what side of the stairs you are putting the wall.

Note I am unable to have it the exact height as it is in  the clients existing home but it is good enough to do a presentation of their existing home before I start working on my new design options for them.

Mick thank you for your condolences. x

post-620-0-91033400-1427927814_thumb.png