Error importing from Sketchup with curved objects

lkruper

I get the following when I extrude a rectangle to make a curved object:

A face was defined with more than four vertices.  Only triangle and quadrilateralfaces are supported.  The face vertices will be truncated after the first four."

I get the same error when trying to import similar objects from Sketchup Warehouse.

Does anyone know if more recent versions of the program have this limitation as well?  I have version 9.0 and have the lasted update installed.

version 9 of what?

Try saving the file as a version 7 sketchup file ,compatibility may depend on the version of .skp ,and I think it was 7 back then.

you can download the latest 2016 HDA or Pro free Trial and try it for yourself to see if the upgrade is worth it.

or attach the .skp file so someone can try it perhaps for you.

Architectural Home Designer 9.0.   They are not skp… I get those when I save the entire scene.  The objects will import, but just not completely.

I tried to attach the files but got an error that I could not attaches those kinds of files.

I did get the same error from the Sketchup Warehouse for the "Curve System Components"   I select the object then File >> Export >> 3D Model.   This works fine for most everything else I have tried.

I thought HDA could only import .skp's ?

are you using the File>import Function or just drag and dropping , D&D doesn't always work correctly.

Try PM Jo_Ann .....She is very good at workarounds and still uses HDA 10 so may know what your issue is

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/user/63-jo-ann/

If the uploader doesn't recognise the file type as "allowed"  just zip the files and try again they are allowed.

Mick

curve3.zip

I thought HDA could only import .skp's ?

are you using the File>import Function or just drag and dropping , D&D doesn't always work correctly.

Try PM Jo_Ann .....She is very good at workarounds and still uses HDA 10 so may know what your issue is

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/user/63-jo-ann/

If the uploader doesn't recognise the file type as "allowed"  just zip the files and try again they are allowed.

Mick

Thanks.   HDA 9 gives three extensions for files in import, obj, skp and 3ds.   With the attached files on my desktop I import and choose the obj.

export out of Sketckup as 3d Model> .3ds and see if  hda9 handles it better  , if not do a save as > sketchup version7 

you may need to model it in a blank plan in SU ,ie just the Object you want , then save as Ver.7  ( this is also what you have to do in Chief)

M.

export out of Sketckup as 3d Model> .3ds and see if  hda9 handles it better  , if not do a save as > sketchup version7 

you may need to model it in a blank plan in SU ,ie just the Object you want , then save as Ver.7  ( this is also what you have to do in Chief)

M.

Thanks.   Looks like skp works as version 3, and .3ds also works.  However .obj still gives the same error. 

One thing that makes Sketchup stand out for me is the ability to make a dynamic object... for example one can click on the door of a cabinet and it opens.  Do you know if any of the AHD versions have anything like that?    Also, modeling with curved soffits would be nice.     Problem with SU is that to get the dynamic object capabilities one needs the paid pro version.    I won't have this in a few weeks as the trial ends.

never had much luck myself with .obj files myself.

AFAIK there is no time limit on the Trial of HD Pro/Arch , you just can't save plans or print or export extra ( so don't close Program or computer if you need to play with something longer than one session)

check out that article above if you didn't , it shows how to get smoother curves in SU and double check your file for missing faces and other anomalies

M.

never had much luck myself with .obj files myself.

AFAIK there is no time limit on the Trial of HD Pro/Arch , you just can't save plans or print or export extra ( so don't close Program or computer if you need to play with something longer than one session)

check out that article above if you didn't , it shows how to get smoother curves in SU and double check your file for missing faces and other anomalies

M.

I did look at that article, thanks.  Very informative.    I don't use the tools very often.  I got AHD 5 years ago when I bought and fixed up an old cabin.   Now I have a potential new project.

Maybe you could help me understand this domain.      How does the AHD product compare to what is available?    It looked to me that Sketchup could do all and more than AHD but at a cost of $590 per license and a huge learning curve.   That being said,  AHD seems to be very good at designing homes and decorating them, something that might need more effort in SU.

Because you are familiar with AHD I think the Learning curve will be way lower ,and you will have simple "mockups" done a lot quicker to look at "What If" scenario's  however HDA9 isn't a choice Online for the Rebate (ver10 is latest, and I'm not sure how long it will be on the list as 2016 came out on the 25th March)   ,so you will need to call Sales and see if they will still apply the Rebate to your Purchase , HDA to HDA is $75 rebate , so $125  while a HDA to Pro upgrade is a $200 Rebate (= cost of HDA) so $295US. 

HD Pro 2016 is based on Chief X7 and has some nice addons/upgrades and a new UI , see my post here :

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/902-any-major-difference/#entry5169

the upgrade page:  https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/products/home-designer-pro/