Attic Wall Missing Bottom Plate

fberus

Go to solution Solved by fberus,

I added an attic wall during the process of creating a Dutch gable.  I have checked the box for "Sill Plate" in the Wall Specification -> Foundation panel and rebuilt the wall framing.  No dice.  I have tried tweaking several check boxes and radio buttons. No dice.  Is there a way to add the Sill plate to this attic wall?

You can see the other walls in this attic space in the background and they have sills at the bottom.

Thanx,

Floyd.

HDP 2021, Build 22.3.0.55x64

Windows 11 x64

DutchGableWall1.png

I cannot tell you "why" because I am not a software engineer or Architect. What I CAN suggest is that you simply copy-paste one of the existing framing plates to where it is missing, then using your "Control Key" or "Command Key" (Mac) to move it  into place.

DJP

6 hours ago, fberus said:

I added an attic wall

My guess on this is that the wall doesn't know what you want it to be -hence the exclusion.

Is it constructionally correct? This software is pretty smart - to put it lighty.

Does a dutch gable need the lower wall?

Try rebuilding it differently.

Often sorts out the knots and lumps for me.

Jeff.

• Solution

HDP wouldn't allow me to cut'n'paste an attic wall plate into this wall.  I tried in both 'Plan' and 'Full Perspective' views.  I decided Jeff was probably right and there was just something about the structure or placement of this wall that confused HDP.  So I decided to save a copy of the plan, delete the attic wall altogether, and redraw it.  That worked, and I got this:

BTW, I was following this tutorial to create the Dutch Roof. I used the "Manual" method.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00749/creating-a-dutch-hip-roof.html

DutchGableWall3.png